Haines/Skagway

Ladyaruba

i mentioned this before but want to see if anyone has done it.

We will be arriving in Haines but wanted to do a tour in Skagway.

HAL says it has to be offered in Haines in order to do it!

I don't see why we can't pay for the fast ferry to Skagway ourselves and then do the tour there.

We wanted to check out the Red Dog Saloon breakfast and the suspension Bridge which is offered if you dock at Skagway.

Anyone ever done this tour or gone from Haines to take a tour in Skagway?

Wondering if I should just ask on the ship. They should be able to help

If not, what do you suggest for Haines that would be a moderate tour?

Krochel Wildlife Center in Haines. On a way there tour bus takes you through Chilkut Bald Eagles Preserve. That's what we are doing. It's a tour through HAL. I checked how much would it be to visit Krochel Center from Skagway. Way too much! Ships frequently visit Skagway. Haines stop is not that often part of AK itinerary. Even though we loved White Pass train in Skagway and wanted to do it again out of Haines now, we decided to stay in Haines and take advantage of above.

I have same problems as you. i feel I am wrong in choosing this itinerary.

When you will be in Haines. I will be in June 6th.

I might only choose White pass summit tour via ship. If dock in Skagway, would be much better as I don not need to worry about getting in to Ferry for my oldie mom. Also want to do Bennett train.

The big problem for me is communication inEnglish. So I do not want to ask much via email. By phone is better but I am not good at listening and speaking. By reading, some times I spend much time to read again and again to get understanding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is nothing that I know of that would prevent you from taking the ferry on your own to Skagway and seeing what you want to and taking the ferry to return. You would just need to make sure you are back in plenty of time before your ship leaves.

That being said, we enjoyed our stop in Haines. We rented a car, drove part of the Haines Hwy, went to Kroschel Wildlife Center, Chilkoot Lake and Chilkat State Park. The scenery is beautiful and Haines is a more traditional Alaskan town with less commercialization than Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a float trip through the Bald Eagle preserve outside of Haines. There wasn’t much water in the river so there were a few glitches where the boat had to be rocked off of a sandbar. Other than that a very enjoyable moderate tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums