Tell me about Tendering...

I'm a big chicken. I avoid heights, I get sweaty palms taking escalators, if I can see through the stairs to the ground, I panic... On our first cruise I refused to even stand near the side of the ship for too long without clutching my husband and hiding my eyes- and that was when we were docked!

So, our next cruise will involve Tendering. Who else is a big chicken and has lived through it? Tell me what it's like!

(Also, I refused to get on the Water Taxi in Nassau- it totally freaked me out, I still have nightmares of that rocking wooden boat and a tiny little step that they expected me to hop off the pier, actually LAND on the little step and then down into the boat???!! No way!!) :eek:

Tell us what ports of call you will be tendering into and I will tell you what it is like at that port. Just returned from cruise #18 on Jewel of the Seas. I LOVE to tender in; it is fun. I even drove a tender in St. Marteen a few years ago. Sshh, no one is supposed to know that. All that aside, just watch the guys who pilot the tenders, they are amazing and very capable.

I've had no problem tendering although for me it's less fear and more concern that mobility issues could make it difficult. Staff are very helpful and patient. They will assist you both in and out of the tender. I've not had any problems although I'll admit sometimes if it's low tide that first step can be a bit more difficult! Just look straight ahead at the tender when entering or the dock when exiting and ignore anything else. Also, they won't tender if the water is too rough (we missed out on Grand Cayman our first trip because of that)

I have a "heights issue" too. I tender all the time without incident. There are no scary leaps and the tender comes right up alongside the ship. Yes, you will be over water, for a moment, don't look down. It's not a huge drop anyway.

There will be plenty of crew to assist you onto the tender. Take advantage of the help they give you. I won't lie to you, if the sea is a bit rough, it may be a little challenging getting on and off a tender. I've had an instance where I pulled a muscle when the tender went down in height suddenly, I was a bit sore for weeks. But, that does not deter me from getting onto one again. That said, it was unusual for that to happen and it doesn't happen often. If the sea is too rough for tendering, the ships captain will cancel the tenders. Many people are disappointed by this, but it is for the safety of all, mostly the crew, as they are the ones assisting the pax.

Take your time, don't let anyone pressure you and allow full assistance from the crew. The ride on the tender boat will have more motion than the ship, so if you're prone to motion sickness, take precations before you go. Even though I had my slight injury, motion sickness and generally don't care at all for tendering, I do it, I don't want to miss out because of my fear.

The alternative would be to stay on the ship. Some people do this and that is fine, too. People sometimes have been to a port before and just want a day of uncrowded relaxation. But, if you really want to go into port, you're going to have to tough it out, suck it up and get on that tender! Although the view of the port is usually very pretty, to stay onboard the ship is kind of like saying you have visited a town from the airport, or freeway, it's just not the same.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Pulled muscles? Yikes!! I thank you ALL for your replies. I will make up my mind that it's no big deal and maybe it won't be....

The tendered port will be Coco Kay. I'm sure my husband will do EVERYTHING he can to help me, he never (not ever) would willingly leave me flailing alone. It's the span of nothing that makes me double over with cramps. I once had to fling myself across nothing between two train cars (this was in the USSR, when I was 16 and bendable!!) and 19 years later I can see that moment with vivid recall, as I was falling- some faceless manly hand saved me. (I'm sure it was not that dramatic- the space was maybe 8-11 inches... but everything was going so fast, the cars were up and down, I could see the blur of ground as we were moving, etc.....)

I'm not going to dwell on it. I'll practice walking while looking UP (of course this is my problem, I always, always, always look down...) I'm ok with the actual tender ride to the port- it's the on and off part...

Thanks again!

Let the crew help you, they are far more used to it and do it every day. My incident was unusual and the crew could not have done anything other than balance me when it happened. I'm sorry if I worried you, I've been on tenders a number of times and nothing like this has ever happened before or since.

Just remember, it's (the tender boat as well as the ship) on water and water moves, the vessels move. They are secured very well together, but you must always use caution.

Hold the handrail when going from the ship to the tender and the tender back to the ship. There are rails on both sides to hold onto. And look straight ahead as you walk. As previous posters mentioned, there is plenty of staff on the ship and the tender helping. You can do it!!!!

. I LOVE to tender in; it is fun. I even drove a tender in St. Marteen a few years ago. Sshh, no one is supposed to know that. All that aside, just watch the guys who pilot the tenders, they are amazing and very capable.
So I'm not the only one who actually looks forward to tender ports!

It's all in what you focus on. Don't focus on the fear on the tiny moment when you're stepping into a tender ... focus on the great pictures you will get of your cruise ship when your tender pulls away and heads for shore.

A cruise ship tied up to the dock isn't quite as cool as pictures of your ship surrounded by water.

Coco Cay will be the easiest tender ever. In some ports, RCI seems to contract with local companies to tender you in and out. On their own island, I believe they are all RCI employees.

You don't have to jump to get from the ship to the tender. Just step on. I can't imagine pulling a muscle (not saying it didn't happen to poor Happy KS!); just that if the seas are that rough, they generally cancel the tenders entirely. I have even manoevred a child in a manual wheelchair off and on tenders, where the chair had to be lifted up and over the steps/threshold.

Coco Cay is a very nice, inexpensive beach day. You will not want to miss this fun island (it's soooooo much less difficult than navigating yourself around the typical island, with the usual need for taxis, tours, etc)!

Just send your hubby ahead, and have him reach out his hand to assist you, or else have him stand behind you on the ship's platform, holding one of your hands, while the gentlemen there to assist you take your other hand. That way, you are gently eased onto the tender, while still keeping hold of the ship until you are safely on it.

Have fun! Don't be worried! It reminds me of a (I believe Ben Franklin) quote about 'How much worry and concern I've had in my life over things that turned out to be nothing' or something like that.

Archived