Is Southern Caribbean rainy the month of Janaury?

We have done cruises in January and had great weather. It is likely to rain on any island at any time of the year as their weather is about the same year round so it all becomes luck of the draw. Still rather be cruising regardless of the rain.

We went to the Southern Caribbean the month of November and it rained every day of our cruise. This time we are giving it another try and going in January. I hope we have better luck with the weather.
We have done the Southern Caribbean twice during the month of Nov and had almost no rain - nothing more than 1 or 2 brief showers - mostly sunshine.:D:D

January is the dry season in the Southern Caribbean. If you get any rain at all, it will probably be very brief and light. It can get breezy, but that is very pleasant. The evenings are pleasantly cool. You probably couldn't pick a better month than January to tour the region. In fact, that is the very time I would choose to visit the Southern Caribbean.

Having said all the above, the year 2005 turned many weather rules on their heads. All bets seem to be off. Still, based on the eight years I lived in coastal Venezuela, I'd say you have chosen one of the best times to visit the Souhtern Caribbean. I can't even remember rain in January. We used to be so dry, that January/February were the "fire" months when we had many flash fires from the lack of rain.

Have a great trip and let us know how it turned out for you.

We went to the Southern Caribbean the month of November and it rained every day of our cruise. This time we are giving it another try and going in January. I hope we have better luck with the weather.

a rainy day on a cruise is about 1000 times better than a dry day at home

Did a southern route cruise in January 2004 and the weather was great. No rain. So we've decided to do another one next year out of San Juan in January again. We've also done beach holidays in January with little rain as well. The probability of rain in November is higher than January. November is considered to be the end of the hurricane season.

Enjoy!

Go to www.weather.com and put in the name of one of the islands you are interested in and click on averages to see the weather for each month.

The winter is usually the best season in the caribbean. It is not uncommon for the islands to heat up during the day and have a brief shower in the late afternoon or early evening. Since it is so hot, a shower is very refreshing. Most people are in their bathing suits, so a shower is just fine. We were in the southern caribbean in December last year and only experienced one day with showers late in the day.

met up with several severe downpours in puerto rico and the locals told me that it was freak weather for them..none the less, most of our cruise was overcast on the southern caribbean last year mid month. this year we opted to push our trip back two more weeks to first week of february hoping for more sunny weather...

We always vacation, either cruise or land - at the end of January or first week of February and have been blessed with outstanding weather in the Southern Caribbean :) Most posters have already mentioned that if it does rain, it is usually only brief showers and then Mr. Sun comes right back out again!

We are cruising out of San Juan on January 29th and staying 4 nights pre-cruise, so I am looking forward to a few days of sunshine on the beach!

Archived