Limit on liquor bringing back?

We carried off 13 liters between the two of us. We reported the purchases but nothing was said including the paying of any duty. I believe the ship's store told us 5 liters pp which is what we purchased on board. Then we purchased more in St. Maarten. We drove to the port so carrying it all onto a plane wasn't an issue.

Have fun!

you can bring varying amounts of liquor "duty-free" depending upon the itinerary - I seem to remember you can bring back more before paying duty from a eastern caribbean run than from a western (esp if you visit the USVI. i.e. St Thomas). I don't think there's a limit on the total amount of bottles, but you will have to pay duty after a certain number.

just from experience - last month I came back from a western run and the limit was 1 liter. I had 11 bottles in two six-pack carriers and paid $20 duty on 10 of them . . so about $2 each. This was on the Grandeur in Tampa

I have a friend who would always bring back a case of a special Barcardi rum he could only find in St Thomas for his dad, and he said he paid $1.85 duty per bottle in Miami. Another friend always buys a case of Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio when in St Maarten - still worth the hassle of bringing it home as it's around $9 plus duty a bottle, which still beats the $25+ you pay in the States . . .

If you exceed the duty free allowance (1 litre per adult) you are subject to duty. If your duty owed is less than $10, they normally let you pass without payment (I once owed $9.97 and the customs guy told me it was my lucky day).

I still fill out the customs declaration form and report to the customs agent on board the ship early on the day of debarkation. That is where they calculate what you owe and collect the duty.

P.S. - don't bring back any cigarettes labeled for export only - they will confiscate them! Certain Mexican vendors will remove the labels but customs can tell. Buy your cigarettes on the ship (strict limits on cigarettes).

Lou

Limiit is 1L per person. That said, the customs guy in Tampa did not even want to GLANCE at either our forms or our booze, even though we each had those 4 bottle cardboard boxes hooked to the outside of our suitcases.

Depends on where you are from. I know on our sailing of the Rhapsody, there was a different (much lower) limit if you were from Texas than if you were from anywhere else - sorry I can't remember the exact limits but it was like 1 bottle if you were from Texas, and 4 bottles if you were from anywhere else. Also, it depends on where you buy it. As somebody said, you can bring back a lot more from St. Thomas than anywhere else.

Duty isn't much it's the real issue is carrying them back home. My 4 bottles of Absolute with 2 connections was a pain but well worth the pain :D Just don't open any bottles, TSA checked all of the seals. You will note airlines now explain there is no drinking of alcohol brought on board.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived