What just happened with Liberty?

Had a co worker on that cruise and he said the winds were over 35 knots and they couldn’t land a hellocopter so they had to turn around. Ironically if they were a few more hours out they would have continued to Grand Cayman

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even without the wind issue it is rare that they use Helo. Multiple times I have seen used on Royal Coast Guard would lower the basket on Pool Deck and did not land on a Helopad.. The "Chief" has discussed this in the past, Helo's and safety issue. The couple dozen other emergency's happened while I was on board they would typically return to port, speed up to another one or use Pilot boat/Tender's...

We were on one ship where there was a medical evacuation but the helo had to hover as it was too windy to attempt a landing. That was a very long, slow, and careful operation. From the time the basket was first lowered until the last time it was brought up with the patient was very precise. It certainly made for sobering thought.

My point is if it was an emergency evacuation, it took hours. Why couldn't they have waited several more to get to the next port?

Ask this question when it is YOU or your loved one that need the evac.

Would want them to wait just a few more hours for your child?????

I have flown helos. Never landed one on a ship, but would NOT want to try it on a cruise ship with the pad is forward. That would entail either flying backwards at the speed of the ship plus wind, or landing with a huge fly (helo) swatter behind me trying to smack into me. Nope. No thanks.

Note that the USN and USCG ships have the helo deck aft. Then the helo is flying forwards, but watching the ship while approaching and landing. And if something goes wrong, they have a number of outs.