The First Voyage of the Norwegian Bliss to Alaska

BirdTravels

I want to go on the Alaskan cruise, just for this excursion!! That sounds like an amazing experience, being so close to the water while the ship maneuvers

The best thing about that excursion was the ability to stop - the Allen Marine crew were great and they stopped a few different times to view wildlife.

We even got to see a humpback breach which is pure luck, but would never happen if we hadn't been stopped to watch them. Stopping for the bear was like looking for a needle in a haystack - I have no idea how the captain saw him - it took binoculars or zoom lens to really see that it was a bear. The captain could have buzzed right by and no one would have known. We stopped alongside a big piece of ice, close enough that we could almost touch it. Might sound boring, after all, it's just ice, but, until you pull up alongside it, you really don't appreciate how big some these ice floats are and how dense they are.

Yeah, I would most definitely recommend that excursion. Worth every penny.

Yes. The ship does a very slow turn in place so everyone gets a good look at the glacier.
Thank you! I assumed we wouldn't see this part on the ship. It sounds like the boat you were on went ahead of the ship? Did you see it the whole way going to the glacier or just part of the way?? Really can't wait for this!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

It sounds like the boat you were on went ahead of the ship? Did you see it the whole way going to the glacier or just part of the way??

We didn't see the ship until the very end of our excursion when the Captain announced that we'd be heading back to meet it. That was the first time I saw it since we'd left it.

Thank you for sharing your photos and experiences! I will watch the Bliss leave Seattle all summer from the deck. Very nice knowing what some of the ship looks like! Happy you had a wonderful trip. Thank you again for all the time and effort for this report. Happy sailing!!

Thank you! I assumed we wouldn't see this part on the ship. It sounds like the boat you were on went ahead of the ship? Did you see it the whole way going to the glacier or just part of the way?? Really can't wait for this!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We left the dock about 15-30 minutes before the ship. We saw her in the distance for a short while, then not again until we returned. She had to stay 5-6 miles away from the glacier. We stayed 5-6 hundred feet

We will be traveling on Bliss in July trying to start a packing list, no idea what to bring will be going to Seattle for 3 days then cruise. What is necessary to bring and what did you forget that you wish you had packed. Do people dress up in evening or is it too cold.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise

We will be traveling on Bliss in July trying to start a packing list, no idea what to bring will be going to Seattle for 3 days then cruise. What is necessary to bring and what did you forget that you wish you had packed. Do people dress up in evening or is it too cold.

Might be better to look for threads on Alaska packing - I'm sure there are others, or create your own new thread.

I found this cruise to be the least formal of any I've been on. Seemed like very few were getting dressed up.

The tough part is outdoor wear, you have to plan on layers. We were doing a small boat whale watch and the Tracy Arm excursion, so, knew we'd be outside on the water for extended periods. We had base layers, fleeces and water proof shells, hats and gloves.

Seattle and Victoria will be hot, shorts and t-shirt weather

The ports will be warm. We usually are in shorts and t-shirts in July in all port (doesn’t meant that there can’t be a cold spell your week).

Prepare for rain. It rains almost daily in some ports. The ship had some cheap, disposable ponchos. We wore our rain jacket two days.

Glacier watching day it’s coats, gloves, hats. We went on the Glacier Caramaran in Juneau getting up close and personal with the Dawes glacier while the ship hung back. It was bitter cold,,,, but we enjoyed every single minute. (And we’re prepared with winter attire).

Even last week when the temps were in the 50’s, a light jacket and a deck blanket were sufficient to sit on the balcony nightly.

Obviously, if you booked a tour to dogsled on a glacier, coats, gloves, hats.

Dinners on NCL are a mixed bag. Fewer and fewer are getting really dressed up. But very few are shorts and t-shirts at dinner. We always dress up a little,,,, but it has been a very long time since we packed long dresses and a tux.

So,,, we had a fleece jacket for outdoors on the ship, a rain jacket, and a heavy coat on the trip with an umbrella.

This is kind of subjective. Look at the weather report before you pack for each city you visit. Depends on where you are from too. If it’s 50s and 60s, someone from a cold climate will think it’s warm and someone like me from a warm climate will think that’s pretty cold! Weather channel posts 2 weeks of weather but it can change, check it a week or so ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the very thorough and informative review along with all of the photos. The various dailies and menus are much appreciated as we sail on the Bliss this Saturday; 23 June. We’re also excited to see all of the beautiful sights you’ve highlighted with your stunning photos. Thanks for sharing and informing! :D

Mike & Sue

Thank you for the very thorough and informative review along with all of the photos. The various dailies and menus are much appreciated as we sail on the Bliss this Saturday; 23 June. We’re also excited to see all of the beautiful sights you’ve highlighted with your stunning photos. Thanks for sharing and informing! :D

Mike & Sue

Let us know how your cruise is going! Have a great time.

Has anyone eaten at Cagneys outside on the Waterfront while sailing up to Sawyer glacier. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary that day and have 8 pm reservations. Not sure if it would be too cold to eat outside. We would live to enjoy the scenery. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Has anyone eaten at Cagneys outside on the Waterfront while sailing up to Sawyer glacier. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary that day and have 8 pm reservations. Not sure if it would be too cold to eat outside. We would live to enjoy the scenery. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

While we were eating at la Cucina I saw two crew members eating outside wrapped in their deck blankets. I thought it would be too cold to be outside too, but wasn’t even thinking Alaskan Cruises all provide really nice fluffy blankets you can take with you around deck.

That may be an option for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All...

Couple of questions:

We have the Ultimate Beverage Package included. Does that mean that we can order drinks under the $15.00 threshold at any bar/restaurant on the ship?

We also have the Specialty Dining Package. I have booked 4 restaurants in this order: Cagney's, Los Lobos, La Cucina, Cagney's. I know only 3 come with the package so how do they charge for the 4th? Is is in the order used? If so, I may want to consider switching up La Cucina with the 2nd Cagney's as Cagney's is a pricier option.

Thanks for the info!

Can't wait for our September sailing.

Hi All...

Couple of questions:

We have the Ultimate Beverage Package included. Does that mean that we can order drinks under the $15.00 threshold at any bar/restaurant on the ship?

We also have the Specialty Dining Package. I have booked 4 restaurants in this order: Cagney's, Los Lobos, La Cucina, Cagney's. I know only 3 come with the package so how do they charge for the 4th? Is is in the order used? If so, I may want to consider switching up La Cucina with the 2nd Cagney's as Cagney's is a pricier option.

Thanks for the info!

Can't wait for our September sailing.

Your beverage package is valid at any bar, restaurant or show. It covers the first $15 of any drink. You pay for amount over $15 + 20% gratuity on the amount over $15.

When you show up at a restaurant, you tell them how you want to pay. So,,,, look at the menus in this thread and decide which one you want to pay out of Pocket. We normally pay for Lobos (large potions) or Cucina if we exceed our meals.

Have a great Cruise!

Your beverage package is valid at any bar, restaurant or show. It covers the first $15 of any drink. You pay for amount over $15 + 20% gratuity on the amount over $15.

When you show up at a restaurant, you tell them how you want to pay. So,,,, look at the menus in this thread and decide which one you want to pay out of Pocket. We normally pay for Lobos (large potions) or Cucina if we exceed our meals.

Have a great Cruise!

Thanks for the quick reply! I heard that you get one entree and as many appetizers and desserts as you want...true? Is that only with the SDP or is that in the restaurants that have a "cover charge" as well? Thanks again.