Vegetarian options in the MDR

My wife is a vegetarian and we are sailing on the Mariner on July 2.

I did a search for sample menus in the MDR and I don’t remember where I found them but they had two vegetarian options under appetizers and one under entrees every night.

I remember several pasta dishes under the entrees. And I remember salads and vegetables under the appetizers.

Also on previous cruises I remember they always have a Indian vegetarian menu available and my wife has eaten off this before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can anyone give me some examples of what types of non-meat entrees are currently on the MDR menus for vegetarians? We'll be traveling on Adventure next month if that helps. Much appreciated!

Ask the waiter or better yet the headwater about available Indian entrees, They usually have a meat and vegetarian option available every evening.

Also on previous cruises I remember they always have a Indian vegetarian menu available and my wife has eaten off this before.

Hold the phone. For real? I love Indian food! This would make my trip!

(I had guessed it would be mostly salad and pasta)

Yes! I swear[emoji14]! Ask you waiter the first night. They have an Indian vegetarian menu!

In addition to the regular menu and a by-request Indian option, there are also veggie options on the kids menu (like mac & cheese, pasta, and pizza), and things they can easily accommodate without prior request (baked potato, side of mixed veggies). The veggie main entree options I've seen are primarily pasta, plus sometimes some soy based stuff like fake chicken nuggets, or a veggie based option like Eggplant Parmesan.

We love Indian food and find it a lot on Celebrity, but not as much on RCI. ...

RC has Indian food, however they don't advertise it. You have to ask. On Jewel, they have printed menus for Indian items that change every night.

We just sailed on a 9 nighter, on the Anthem. My daughter is a vegetarian and pre cruise, I was concerned if there would be enough options that she would eat. She did great and loved everything. Some of the things she chose were:

Baked Polenta and Feta Cheese with Grilled vegetables

Moroccan couscous vegetable casserole

Wild mushroom risotto

Eggplant parmigiana

Butternut squash risotto

Tagliatelle

Vegetable Korma

Our waiter also told her that if she didn't see something she would like, they would make her something else.

There is definitely an Indian veg choice each evening which is not on the menu.

There is often a vegetarian main on menu (sometimes more than one!) but not always. Some items like eggplant parmesan are not well prepared (dried up stodge) so beware. Some members of my family are vegetarians so if there is nothing on the menu that appeals then we don't go to the MDR.

I have been sailing with RC for 30 years and it is constantly changing. Sometimes I have had some amazing vegetarian meals. Other times I have been so disappointed with limited menu choices. Not everyone wants the default Indian veg option.

On a positive, the buffet is really good and here they cater for vegetarians really well.

If you are eating in the MDR, especially at lunch and menu doesn't appeal then the trick is to mix and match. Ask for starter as main or combine starters or non meat elements from other menu items. That works well for me.

We were on Oasis in March and they only had one vegetarian entree every night. Most of the time the vegetarian item was Indian food. I do not like Indian food so I just ate appetizers. I asked if they had any other options but they never came through. However when we were on the Adventure last summer they had AWESOME vegetarian food. Best food I have ever had on a cruise ship.

I'm a vegetarian too and never had a problem finding something to eat at any meal. Yes, there is often an Indian menu, but you must ask for it. If there's not a menu, the waiter will tell you what's available.

I only eat Chicken and I order Chicken Curry pretty much every cruise! I am positive they can do a veggie version for you!

Can anyone give me some examples of what types of non-meat entrees are currently on the MDR menus for vegetarians? We'll be traveling on Adventure next month if that helps. Much appreciated!

Many times I also ask our waiter to make me a plate of steamed veggies, green beans, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. They will try to get you whatever you want

I have had the waiter bring me three or four vegetables that I select from different entrées and just make me a vegetable plate. That’s entirely possible

yes, totally is. I do it all the time. My problem is they bring me a plate big enough for 4 people. I am like "baby portions"! I don't eat that much:D:D:D