Norwegian Fjords - how much cash to take

msk1955

Can anyone who has recently done the Norwegian Fjords please provide a view on how many Norwegian Krone we should take for a week? I have already pre-booked our excursions, so am thinking of incidentals while ashore. I have read elsewhere that nearly everywhere takes credit/debit cards except for public toilets. Can someone please advise how much change I would need should I wish to make use of those? Thanks.

We didn't used public toilets a lot but its the normal charge of around 50p-£1 (around a dollar). This was in one place in Alesund.

As for general money it depends on if you are shoppers/drinkers/eaters.

Cheap snacks are around $5-$7 (7-11 style) and meals even cheap ones are usually over $18 per plate with it rising to $40 and up for decent or traditional fish style dishes in restaurant areas.

Drinks are also pricey. Expect to pay $11 in many places for a beer and even more for cocktails or wines.

Gifts and shopping are also expensive. Even little keyrings were $5 and artsy gifts made from wool/wood or traditional fare going from $20 to $150.

In essence budget at least $100 per day and get your change from that. Most places do card but you will be paying even more on these prices.

We felt the gifts were either very overpriced or just plain tacky so didn't do much shopping. It was also the first cruise we mainly ate on the ship as we didn't want to pay £15 for a low quality reheated meal or £30 for fish and sides. We did buy drinks though as we like local drinking.

Thanks for your responses. We are in the UK, so I will be taking a credit card with zero foreign transaction fees. We already know how expensive Norway is, so don't plan on making any purchases or eating out. Was more for incidentals, such as toilets or perhaps a drink.

If you have a few left over $$ or €€, it's worth taking those, as many shops will accept those, along with ££. Not a good rate of exchange, but we find them useful! If change comes back in krone, then that's good for loos etc...The last thing we bought recently in Norway we used up some €€ at a market stall.

OP: Your best option is to arrange with your bank so that your Debit or Credit card will work overseas. You will get the best exchange rate from an ATM in the location where you are visiting.

Why not get Norwegian Kroner? I estimate 300 Kroner per port of call which covers incidental expenses and cable car, busses etc etc. I have 3000 Kroner for my next cruise and any left will be used for next summers cruise.

We also have a UK debit card which can be used overseas for zero fees, no not worried about that. We will be taking Krone and have already pre-booked all the trips we want to do, so we won't need much for anything else.