Easter Islands

truckmaker

we haven’t looked at all 143 pages but we read many. Our question is whether Holland America stop at Easter Island? One of us has this on our bucket list but we’re not able to get there with our usual cruise lines.

Thank you for any response.

The next HAL ship to visit will be the Maasdam this Oct 2nd, leaving Ft Lauderdale for 34 days on Sept 10, ending in Tahiti. The only other HAL ship I can find stopping there in the next 2 years will be the Amsterdam Grand World Voyage, on 2/10/19.

To see visits by other cruiselines, go to https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-easter-island-chile.html and starting with 9/3/18 keep clicking "next" in the lower right corner.

Edited by catl331

Easter Island is always an iffy tender stop due to the weather and seas We are going on the Maasdam in Sept/Oct, but with the caution known up front that we may not get ashore. If you want to be sure to visit these islands, best to take a flight.

Fingers crossed because we signed up because of this port stop too - but the whole package is also very interesting - new format for HAL - high enrichment and emphasis on local additions.

If you REALLY want to visit Easter Island I would recommend flying rather than hoping for favorable tendering conditions. One surprise I had when there was that Easter was once an alternate landing site for the Space Shuttle and has a superb airport with regular service to Santiago and to New Zealand. If you really want to combine it with a cruise perhaps you could fly to Easter Island, stay a few days and continue to New Zealand together with a cruise back home.

Roy

If you REALLY want to visit Easter Island I would recommend flying rather than hoping for favorable tendering conditions. One surprise I had when there was that Easter was once an alternate landing site for the Space Shuttle and has a superb airport with regular service to Santiago and to New Zealand. If you really want to combine it with a cruise perhaps you could fly to Easter Island, stay a few days and continue to New Zealand together with a cruise back home.

Roy

Roy, that IS an intriguing suggestion. We might just do that.

Thank you.

I have been there twice (and will be going back again in the next couple of years, this time with my son). Both times were 5 day trips, and even that felt rushed. Both trips were in the 'off' season (i.e. when Chileans were back in school).

There is really just so much to see there (though I now have more Moai photos than I could ever look at). I can't imagine sailing there and missing it due to tender problems.