Just Returned from D3L Alaska Land Tour on Westerdam: Any Questions?

We ate in the MDR every night, the Gala nights were the 2nd and the 2nd to last night, I believe. One of the Gala nights was a port day which surprised me. They only had filet and lobster on the second gala night. The first gala night had no lobster, menu seemed rather ordinary to me.

Also, do not order the add on crab trio--they really push it, you get crab bisque, crab legs, and crab cakes for $24 in the MDR. We ordered it one night to share and it was gross. I have sent back food probably less than five times in my entire life and this was one of them. The maitre d' apologized said they cooked the crab legs in fish stock. They smelled really off. They took it off our bill but it was disappointing. It also came at the end of our meal, after we finished our entrees.

Otherwise dinner service was fine, we ate in a group of five most nights and were seated together with no reservations and no wait.

So does this look like about right??

Day 1 Embarkation

Day 2 At Sea **Gala Night #1**

Day 3 Glacier Bay

Day 4 Haines

Day 5 Juneau

Day 6 Ketchikan **Gala Night #2**

Day 7 Inside Passage (last night of cruise)

Day 8 Disembarkation

And thanks for the tip about the crab trio in the MDR. Here's hoping the king crab legs in the Pinnacle Grill are much better!

Thanks- that is all super helpful! I just looked at the weather and saw that we will be getting rain. We expected some, but it looks like a lot of days, so I don’t know how that will affect things.

Still- adventure of a lifetime, right? If the hubs has any questions I may ask again. Thanks again!

dt

We did northbound 6/10 then 4 days on own: MajorMarine Wildlife cruise in Seward on arrival the GoldStar Alaska Railroad to Anchorage, next day rent car, drive to Denali. TWT next day, drive to Talkeetna. Flightseeing next day, red eye home.

About halfway way into the trip we came to the conclusion that the weather prediction seemed to consistently be 180 degrees off. The week prior they called for cold and rainey all week, we had blue skys. The day we drove north was to be partly cloudy, it rained the entire way. The day we did TWT, supposed to be socked in.... it was glorious, we saw both north and south peak!

Hopefully the 180 degrees will prevail on your trip.

We are doing a similar package starting July 19 in Fairbanks and I am really having a hard time finding info about the land portion, so here goes...

1. What do you suggest doing in Fairbanks? We arrive late on 7/19 and will have until the coach leaves at 9:30 am on 7/21.

2. Once we get to Denali at 1:00, are there things to see/do on our own, or do you suggest booking an excursion?

3. How does one get more info about land dining packages? This is the first I've heard of those?

4. Can you tell more about the coach from Denali to Seward? Is is scenic, exhausting, food choices, etc.

(We kind of booked this on the spur-of-the-moment, and now I am realizing how little I know about what we signed up for!!!)

we are doing the same package.

Have you booked any excursions in Delani?

we are doing the same package.

Have you booked any excursions in Delani?

The bus trip from Denali to Seward is 10 hours with a 1 hour lunch stop and two short rest stops.

If you are in Denali the bus tour of the park is a great trip, we did it just over a week ago and saw more wildlife that I could keep count of

The bus trip from Denali to Seward is 10 hours with a 1 hour lunch stop and two short rest stops.

If you are in Denali the bus tour of the park is a great trip, we did it just over a week ago and saw more wildlife that I could keep count of

Were there restrooms on the bus from Denali to Seward?

Thank you for the direct answer. I have been trying to get an answer to that question for awhile. Thinking about a land tour next year.

One rest room on bus, three stops along the way.

Denali trip was fantastic

Glad to hear that wildlife WILL be seen ... several threads made it sound like that wasn't so likely or that often or at least was my take... That is a big part of why I'm going.. AKA nature!

We went on the tour at 5 AM. We were told the earlier the better. We saw 4 grizzly bears, 2 foxes, many caribou, wolf, owl