Burger Wars

Doug and Cindy, enjoy the cruise. We also decided to try another Line after researching good loyalty levels. Part of life is to enjoy change. And like you, I started a bit ambivalent on taking the new cruise line, but now excited.

We are also taking one of those 3-day Carnival cruises out of LA with our kids. They can’t get off long enough to try a longer cruise so going on this, and I’m looking forward to this. There isn’t a bad cruise.....we are at sea, with family and friends and enjoying a get away.

Den

Enjoy your cruise too Den. I've been on Imagination out of LA - basically the same ship. Guy's Burgers is where it's at for lunch. There's also a great taco place if you make it out to La Bufadora in Encinada.

On Celebrity - the room service burgers are good (not great, but generally they were hot and fresh, served with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles). The patty itself was of a decent thickness and served on a nice brioche bun. They serve the condiments on the side so you can add what you like from both the fresh toppings on the other half of the bun plus ketchup, mustard, mayo... (P.S. - the plate is huge - the burger is standard burger sized)

32818138334_3e13837860_c.jpg

The burger in the dining room at lunch seemed to be the same patty and bun (and toppings) although the room service one was served hotter and fresher (my guess is they have a pan of these in the MDR just waiting around).

33533034251_48769ed6df_c.jpg

I'm not going to recommend any burger that has been sitting in a warming tray in the buffet area.

However, the buffet does have cooked to order chicken breasts, steaks and pork chops (and I think some kind of fish). On embarkation when the buffet is basically the only option, I like to head to that area and get a fresh grilled chicken breast, a croissant and then typical burger toppings and enjoy. As much as I like Carnival - they don't have that option.

And just for kicks - a gratuitous shot of a Guy's Burger from Carnival.

34832860620_04e9ac882b_c.jpg

On Celebrity - the room service burgers are good (not great, but generally they were hot and fresh, served with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles). The patty itself was of a decent thickness and served on a nice brioche bun. They serve the condiments on the side so you can add what you like from both the fresh toppings on the other half of the bun plus ketchup, mustard, mayo... (P.S. - the plate is huge - the burger is standard burger sized)

32818138334_3e13837860_c.jpg

The burger in the dining room at lunch seemed to be the same patty and bun (and toppings) although the room service one was served hotter and fresher (my guess is they have a pan of these in the MDR just waiting around).

33533034251_48769ed6df_c.jpg

I'm not going to recommend any burger that has been sitting in a warming tray in the buffet area.

However, the buffet does have cooked to order chicken breasts, steaks and pork chops (and I think some kind of fish). On embarkation when the buffet is basically the only option, I like to head to that area and get a fresh grilled chicken breast, a croissant and then typical burger toppings and enjoy. As much as I like Carnival - they don't have that option.

And just for kicks - a gratuitous shot of a Guy's Burger from Carnival.

34832860620_04e9ac882b_c.jpg

I'm not sure if I've had a burger on Celebrity yet, maybe off one of the grills next to the pool area. I wouldn't want one of those sitting around in a heat tray either.

We did a 14 day cruise on Carnival, and I only ate 1 Guy's Burgers. The first couple bites were tasty at it's warmest, but then it tasted like a greedy gut bomb, and I felt cautious afterwards. If I remember correctly, it has double to triple the fats and sodium as a McDonald's Quarter Pounder. Much closer tasting to a Culver's Burger (at 150% unhealthy vs normal fast food), which isn't my personal taste either. Regardless, some ate one every day of their 14 day cruise, along with pizza and pie for breakfast. :eek:

Looks like either carpaccio (thinly sliced beef, usually uncooked and available at good Italian restaurants) or some type of ahi tuna. It's hard to tell. If it's from Tuscan Grille, it's more likely carpaccio. If dining room, could be ahi tuna. Either way, it's an appetizer. I'd order either.