Burger Wars

hubofhockey... Good call on the steak sandwich. I've done the exact same. However, OP wasn't asking for a great steak sandwich. Now you've let cow out of the bag.

Lawn Club on Celebrity Reflection did offer a lunch or two where they featured gourmet hamburgers for a $15 or so upcharge. We did not try them.

I admit to being curious with regard to what the fuss is about re: this poster. Perhaps the poster will never set foot off a Carnival ship. Who knows?

I do know my husband and I are booked on a Crystal cruise, which we booked after cancelling an Edge reservation. The cost was very close between the two ships and I'm very curious to see just what an all-inclusive (or almost all-inclusive since Crystal doesn't include excursions) is all about.

You have hit on an interesting issue. When the pricing of a mass market line starts to approach the pricing of a true luxury line then folks will start to jump to the better lines. There is no comparison between Crystal and Celebrity. Crystal is not just about all-inclusive but also about high quality, impeccable service. and amazing space ratios. Consider that the Crystal Serenity has a passenger space ratio of about 64 tons per passenger while the Edge is about 44 tons per passenger. Bottom line is that Crystal is giving you nearly 50% more space per passenger which is a huge difference.

Hank

I just want to say that we had the best burgers we’ve ever had at sea on the Equinox at the Mast pool bar. I heard multiple people comment on them. In fact I only went to the buffet once for lunch because I loved the burgers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Must be something good about the mast pool grill, if you were here a few months ago and saw the uproar when Celebrity tried to get rid of them, there is a big following.

I'll be on the Equinox this Saturday - and they have one of the better burgers at sea in the Gastrobar.

First off, other than tasty Guy's Burger Joint on Carnival, if a place won't cook it rare it's for the most part off of my list of contenders.

Gastrobar Burger: Fairly plain/simple, just darn GOOD ! Aged Cheddar, Caramelized Onion Relish, Tomato Marmalade, Brioche Bun

i-NnZXGLQ-XL.jpg

i-Q4cgcSP-XL.jpg

I don't say this often, but this one was just a tad rarer than I'd prefer. Nonetheless, I made it disappear !!!

Tom

Now you are talking my language Tom! :hearteyes:

hubofhockey... Good call on the steak sandwich. I've done the exact same. However, OP wasn't asking for a great steak sandwich. Now you've let cow out of the bag.

Lawn Club on Celebrity Reflection did offer a lunch or two where they featured gourmet hamburgers for a $15 or so upcharge. We did not try them.

No this is good conversation, I love me some steak sandwiches too. Ham & Cheese melts, Pastrami, Ribs, Corn on the Cob, Chili, Tritip, Philly Cheese Steak, Taters, Pizza, spicy chicken. We've been eating more salads and PB&J sandwiches of late, but when I'm on vacation that's the time to hold back. :p

No this is good conversation, I love me some steak sandwiches too. Ham & Cheese melts, Pastrami, Ribs, Corn on the Cob, Chili, Tritip, Philly Cheese Steak, Taters, Pizza, spicy chicken. We've been eating more salads and PB&J sandwiches of late, but when I'm on vacation that's the time to hold back. :p

You know, I love all those things, too (as I'm sure many do).

But I sure as heck don't want them as my choices when I'm spending thousands on a vacation!

Luckily I like the fancy, healthy, interesting stuff, too, that I can't be bothered cooking at home. We always have some pizza and the pool burgers on every cruise, but they are in addition to the "good" (to me) stuff.

Must be something good about the mast pool grill, if you were here a few months ago and saw the uproar when Celebrity tried to get rid of them, there is a big following.

I find the Mast Grill burgers to be on a par with a school cafeteria, but still usually find myself getting one a few times per cruise simply because of the convenience. Especially sitting by the pool...so much easier and faster to just grab a quick burger and fries there, than to wander all over the buffet looking for something you want.

I find the Mast Grill burgers to be on a par with a school cafeteria, but still usually find myself getting one a few times per cruise simply because of the convenience. Especially sitting by the pool...so much easier and faster to just grab a quick burger and fries there, than to wander all over the buffet looking for something you want.

Well said. I just picture those hockey pucks sitting there in the juices waiting for a bun. I am not sure about the meat but the toppings are really good. Grilled onions, sauerkraut, grilled mushrooms.

I'll be on the Equinox this Saturday - and they have one of the better burgers at sea in the Gastrobar.

First off, other than tasty Guy's Burger Joint on Carnival, if a place won't cook it rare it's for the most part off of my list of contenders.

Gastrobar Burger: Fairly plain/simple, just darn GOOD ! Aged Cheddar, Caramelized Onion Relish, Tomato Marmalade, Brioche Bun

i-NnZXGLQ-XL.jpg

i-Q4cgcSP-XL.jpg

I don't say this often, but this one was just a tad rarer than I'd prefer. Nonetheless, I made it disappear !!!

Tom

That looks delicious!

i-NnZXGLQ-XL.jpg

i-Q4cgcSP-XL.jpg

Tom

If you like your burgers this way, you would definitely love the Belgian Filet Americain. Yum!!! https://mybelgianrecipes.com/filet-americain/

The Mast Grill will cook them anyway you want them. Cooked to order. I was behind a bridge officer that ordered and I just can have one like his. He smiled and it was not a bad burger at all.

Since we're talking burgers, I might add that Ken Uchimura's Umami burger in the Salty Dog Gastropub on Princess is very good. While I haven't had the Luminae burger, I did try the Mast burger and found it okay. I know everybody raves about Guy's burger on Carnival, but I found it extremely greasy.

However, this whole thread about burgers on mid to higher end cruise lines is oxymoronic. I sense a bit of a trickster in the OP. 794eecdc46ccb738e6bbdffddeaf2f7d.jpg

I personally enjoy med-rare to rare steaks. My issue with ground meat being rare or med-rare is what I think most of us have read about and that is the meat used to grind into hamburgers. Older meats and in many cases adding older ground meat into the mix - probably not aboard a ship I would hope!, but ‘hope’ doesnt insure anything.

So yes, I like a good juicy cut of meat and also go more rare then I use to with lamb and pork because the old issues are no longer concerns with those meats, but ground meat......I’ll go with well cooked to ensure issues with contamination is addressed.

I just love the various subjects we discuss on this forum. Fun!!

Den

I personally enjoy med-rare to rare steaks. My issue with ground meat being rare or med-rare is what I think most of us have read about and that is the meat used to grind into hamburgers. Older meats and in many cases adding older ground meat into the mix - probably not aboard a ship I would hope!, but ‘hope’ doesnt insure anything.

So yes, I like a good juicy cut of meat and also go more rare then I use to with lamb and pork because the old issues are no longer concerns with those meats, but ground meat......I’ll go with well cooked to ensure issues with contamination is addressed.

I just love the various subjects we discuss on this forum. Fun!!

Den

Yep - on hearing of the recent changes in pork cooking/doneness guidelines, I now feel more at ease seeing some pink in my chops!

Tom

We've had some very good burgers at sea, but never any great burgers (we won't pay extra for a burger on a ship) … even the best don't compare with Five Guys or others of that sort. By far the best burgers we've ever had anywhere are from various burgers places in Vegas … YUM !!!

We've had some very good burgers at sea, but never any great burgers (we won't pay extra for a burger on a ship) … even the best don't compare with Five Guys or others of that sort. By far the best burgers we've ever had anywhere are from various burgers places in Vegas … YUM !!!

The burger in Luminae was really good, best I've ever had on a ship. The burger someone described in the Gastro Pub sounded very much like it.

The burger in Luminae was really good, best I've ever had on a ship. The burger someone described in the Gastro Pub sounded very much like it.

It is similar. I'll verify this very soon -- what I do in the name of science/research !! :D

Tom

I plan out our Vegas trips in some detail (to squeeze as much as possible into a few short days). Two trips in a row were centered around highly rated/reviewed burger places - and there were plenty to sample!

My favorite of all time was at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill (Caesars). It was one of those "singing angel" moments. The sad thing is, upon two return trips - I found I couldn't step into the same river twice -- both repeats were actually sub-par, one barely edible (burnt).... oh well, it will just live on in my memories!

MESA BURGER *

Double Cheddar Cheese

Grilled Vidalia Onion + Horseradish Mustard

served with Southwestern Fries

Tom

I'm guessing that (most) anyone who craves a rare burger would also be a steak tartare fan !! I certainly fall into that group.

Tom

Perhaps. But not necessarily the other way around. I love steak tartare but prefer my burgers medium. Go figure.

Mike