Carseats for kids

This happened when we ended up having to buy a car seat for our 13 month old when we were in Dubai. We had a heck of a time finding a reasonable priced car seat that was FAA approved. Cheapest one we could find was $200.

Is that expensive? You would hate living in Sweden...

We never took a car seat on a cruise for DD, but we never did anything in port that required transportation by car/van. We used water taxis & walked.

As for the flight, definitely check with the airline in advance about the ability to be a lap child after turning 2. The airlines are required to go by federal policy which requires children 2 & older to be in a seat. If they stop you at the gate you could have a face a very expensive situation--having to purchase a one way ticket with no advance purchase. The other issue is that flights today are very full so there is no guarantee there would even be a seat available to purchase on the same fight--possibly requiring the rest of the family (or at least 1parent) to change to a flight with a seat available to purchase for the little one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP can certainly check with the carrier she's using for exact policy.

Yes I watched that "reality" show too...lot's of drama created for the camera specifically.....This isn't always the case in real life situations.

A child doesn't have to be in a carseat on the carrier so if they had to purchase a return flight seat this was a non-issue...more than likely if a child was this young and would not sit belted in...the FA would have advised the parent to at that point hold the child in lap.

Yes, I know that. Single Parent/Father, Army(Ret), raised kids on own. Very Experienced travelers. Traveling since 1982 and haven't stopped yet, haven't had a "Home" in 10yrs. Just don't want OP to be stuck at airport without a required seat for a now 2yr old... Them and Allegiant were tight on the 2 yr lap child, required the BC showing under 2. With Delta we had same situation. We flew down while under 2, returning after B-Day. Delta also inspected my Daughters car seat make sure it was approved, others no... Ironic situation had once. Bought full seat for 3month old. She was getting cranky as about to land, prob ears/pressure. Even cry's now flying, very sensitive ears. Anyway was going hold her while landing but airline required us to strap her back in car seat...

Edited by ONECRUISER

We never took a car seat on a cruise for DD, but we never did anything in port that required transportation by car/van. We used water taxis & walked.

As for the flight, definitely check with the airline in advance about the ability to be a lap child after turning 2. The airlines are required to go by federal policy which requires children 2 & older to be in a seat. If they stop you at the gate you could have a face a very expensive situation--having to purchase a one way ticket with no advance purchase. The other issue is that flights today are very full so there is no guarantee there would even be a seat available to purchase on the same fight--possibly requiring the rest of the family (or at least 1parent) to change to a flight with a seat available to purchase for the little one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree, this was my original point. Experienced similar situations over the years...

Ummm... His 2nd birthday will be on our cruise so he really is unde 2 for the flight there, just not home

Make sure you purchase him a seat (or verify with the airline) for the flight home. My niece had to by a seat for her little one last minute because she turned 2 during the trip. they were under the impression that as long as they were under 2 when they started the trip it would be okay.

Check out the Bumble Bum inflatable car seat booster. I use them for the grand kids when we travel. very compact and not too expensive.

You shouldn't need a car seat for most of the airport transfer busses to the port (taxi maybe). I, personally, would never fly with my child as a lap child and my kids have been both flying regularly since they were 6 mths or so (simply too uncomfortable, too intrusive if anyone else shares the row with you, and too dangerous if anything happened), but, of course, you do have that prerogative until they turn 2. 2 and up must have a seat. Personally, I'd buy a seat for both children both ways but I'm pretty sure you'll need a seat for the 2 year old on the return at least. You won't need the car seat(s) except for the airplane so ask the airport about lockers. There should be some lockers you could rent for a week to store the seats until your return trip so that you don't have to lug them around everywhere else.

An option for your 4 year old is the RSTV. It will properly restrain the child in any car with lap/shoulder belts, and it takes up very little room. Unfortunately, the 2 year old needs a car seat in order to travel safely in a vehicle. If the 2 year old is a lap child, then the 4 year old could use the car seat on the plane, and the 2 year old use it in any vehicles. That would avoid checking the seat, because checked seats are often damaged even if gate checked.

Assuming you are flying within the US, FAA regulation 121.311 requires a seat for your 2 year old on the return trip. The regulation states, in part,

(a) No person may operate an airplane unless there are available during the takeoff, en route flight, and landing—

(1) An approved seat or berth for each person on board the airplane who has reached his second birthday; and

(2) An approved safety belt for separate use by each person on board the airplane who has reached his second birthday,