Can you REALLY hear through the walls of your cabin?

I am really curious now after hearing so many say they can hear through the walls of the cabins on a cruise... I have been on 4 cruises (all small ships I think if you look at my signature block below). I have NEVER heard anyone in the cabin next to me - ever. One time on Carnival my nephew heard my husband and I yelling at each other (lol) and he was next to us on one side - BUT I was SCREAMING at him (not a proud moment for me-I quickly apologized). My nephew said he could BARELY hear anything until he put his ear up to the wall to listen-lol. So, I have to say, I have never heard anyone on either side of me. My nephew faintly heard "something" and put his ear to my wall to listen when I was screaming at the top of my lungs at my husband.... I am surprised that all of you talk about hearing so much from the other cabins next to year. On RC I noticed that the air is always blowing and that drowns out noise....

Have I just gotten lucky not hearing anyone? I am a very light sleeper and I know if there was noise to hear, I would hear it.... I think RC rooms with the air always blowing really make it hard to hear other people in other rooms.

I am really curious now after hearing so many say they can hear through the walls of the cabins on a cruise... I have been on 4 cruises (all small ships I think if you look at my signature block below). I have NEVER heard anyone in the cabin next to me - ever. One time on Carnival my nephew heard my husband and I yelling at each other (lol) and he was next to us on one side - BUT I was SCREAMING at him (not a proud moment for me-I quickly apologized). My nephew said he could BARELY hear anything until he put his ear up to the wall to listen-lol. So, I have to say, I have never heard anyone on either side of me. My nephew faintly heard "something" and put his ear to my wall to listen when I was screaming at the top of my lungs at my husband.... I am surprised that all of you talk about hearing so much from the other cabins next to year. On RC I noticed that the air is always blowing and that drowns out noise....

Have I just gotten lucky not hearing anyone? I am a very light sleeper and I know if there was noise to hear, I would hear it.... I think RC rooms with the air always blowing really make it hard to hear other people in other rooms.

Yes, you can. We had 2 small kids in the cabin next to us on the NOS, and when they got cranky, they cried, or should I say wailed. I didn't make a big deal about it, but I dealt with it in my own way, ;) from the balcony, and did not let it ruin my cruise.

They were also trying to crawl under the balcony dividers. When we were at the Muster drill, they were all right next to us, and the little girl screamed the entire time. I told my friend that I would be so glad to get away from them!! Then I find out they are right next to us....:rolleyes:

I must have great hearing because I have never cruised, (21 of them) where I didn't hear something from a cabin next to me. Sneezing, snoring, yelling, laughing, talking, draws closing, hair dryers going and other things too. ;)

Oh wow... that wouldn't be good at all. I guess I HAVE been very lucky. I have 3 kids but I have never brought them on a cruise because I enjoy my time with my husband every once in a while... I have never heard a baby cry or had kids bug me at all on any cruise so far. It may be though that I cruise mostly when kids are in school.

Oh wow... that wouldn't be good at all. I guess I HAVE been very lucky. I have 3 kids but I have never brought them on a cruise because I enjoy my time with my husband every once in a while... I have never heard a baby cry or had kids bug me at all on any cruise so far. It may be though that I cruise mostly when kids are in school.

Yeah, and I think too because it was a Voyager, they do have more kids aboard. I am cruising with my friend and her 2 kids on the Sovereign, and we decided to wait until they were a bit older. One is 4 and one is 7, which she(7) will be OK, it's the 4 yr.old we are worried about. He is very modulated, and very hyper.

But I think he will chill a bit by then. We have already decided that if they both have not calmed down, then we will eat in the WJ, not the dining room. Because they can be really loud sometimes...

We have been very lucky - never have heard anything from neighbors. Sometimes it might be nice to cover up the creaking of the cabin that we've been treated to a few times - but we've found that a lot of times stuffing cardboard in the seams helps! We've always commented on how incredibly quiet the cabins are - you can't even hear the next door toilet flush unless you're in the bathroom too.

Never have I been able to hear anyone next to me. As I stated in an earlier thread, we had and entire girls softball team next to us and never heard them, unless we were in the halls, cause they kept their doors open since they has like 5 rooms. And they were VERY loud. On another cruise, we had friends in the cabin next to us, and we even tried to hear each other through the walls, and couldn't. Just a faint muffeled voice. And she was trying to yell at us. So maybe it depends of the ship and the age of the ship. Maybe they have made improvments on some classes of ships. I just know that I have never been able to hear anyone. Thank god!!! But on a side note, I have heard that if you have adjoining rooms, you can hear the other cabin quite clearly through the doors adjoining the rooms. I have never had one, so I don't know.

I have heard that if you have adjoining rooms, you can hear the other cabin quite clearly through the doors adjoining the rooms. I have never had one, so I don't know.

I just returned in November from a cruise on the Mariner. I had a family of four on one side and an elderly couple on the other. I heard not a note from either side. This was my first cruise so I have no other reference, but on this one, I was very happy with the noise level.

I never travel ANYWHERE without my wax ear plugs.....I even use them at home to keep my hubby's snoring at bay!! You can get them at most grocery stores or Wal-Marts in the pharmacy area near the ear drops area.

Also, on the last two cruises we went on w/o kids, I brought a CD player/ alarm clock that fit into my suitcase. I need to have "white noise" to drown out other sounds and help me sleep.....so I have classical music CDs and of course had to bring some soft mood-setting music.....to drown out anything from inside our cabin ;) !!!

I've also used the bathroom vent while staying in hotel rooms.....can't remember if we used this on our previous cruises.

This time we'll have the kids with us in adjoining rooms. So once again, I will have the ear plugs and the CD player/alarm clock. Although this time, we have balconies, so I would also like to leave the doors open to hear the waves!!!

Never had a connecting cabin. This time, in cabin 1584, we could definitely hear that there were neighbors. :) Not voices - movements and sounds. The drawers being closed. Doors being closed. The curtain being pulled back.

It didn't bother me, except to realize that I really shouldn't be hearing THROUGH THE WALLS that clearly.

Let's just say.....yes you can!!!! :D

On one of our cruises, our neighbors were....um, very busy!

That was the only time we ever heard anything out of all our cruises. :D

Well, at least you knew they were having fun!:D

I am really curious now after hearing so many say they can hear through the walls of the cabins on a cruise...

I've heard the people next door on all my cruises, but maybe I should stop putting a glass up to my ear while putting the glass against the wall :eek:

I think it depends on the ship. On the Grandeur (3 times) and Rhapsody we didn't here a peep from the neighbors. We even saw small children go in and out on one of those. However, on the Serenade we could hear my parents talking in their cabin next door. For the first time we knew we had to keep things quiet on the "love boat" ;-)

My guess is they are probably using cheaper materials to make the cabin containers in recent years so the newer ships (Radience class and Voyager class) will probably have more cabin noise.

Yeah, and I think too because it was a Voyager, they do have more kids aboard. I am cruising with my friend and her 2 kids on the Sovereign, and we decided to wait until they were a bit older. One is 4 and one is 7, which she(7) will be OK, it's the 4 yr.old we are worried about. He is very modulated, and very hyper.

But I think he will chill a bit by then. We have already decided that if they both have not calmed down, then we will eat in the WJ, not the dining room. Because they can be really loud sometimes...

Like I have said, I have 3 boys - 3 1/2, 5 and 7 and I totally get how hyper they can be, especially when they are together! A good thing to do it take the kids to dinner a few times at a restaurant and show them what behavior is expected at dinner. If they bahave offer them dessert or a treat. I let my 5 and 7 year old bring their gameboys to dinner. They ONLY get them after they are finished eating and IF they behaved during dinner - it keeps them quiet while the adults finish. HOnestly, if I only had my 5 and 7 year old I would take them on our next cruise. It's the 3 1/2 year and the fact that there are 3 of them that stops me....

Never have I been able to hear anyone next to me. As I stated in an earlier thread, we had and entire girls softball team next to us and never heard them, unless we were in the halls, cause they kept their doors open since they has like 5 rooms. And they were VERY loud. On another cruise, we had friends in the cabin next to us, and we even tried to hear each other through the walls, and couldn't. Just a faint muffeled voice. And she was trying to yell at us. So maybe it depends of the ship and the age of the ship. Maybe they have made improvments on some classes of ships. I just know that I have never been able to hear anyone. Thank god!!! But on a side note, I have heard that if you have adjoining rooms, you can hear the other cabin quite clearly through the doors adjoining the rooms. I have never had one, so I don't know.

Not true on the Vision! My sister and I had adjoining cabins and I could not hear anything! In fact, I tried to yell through the door a few times and she could never hear me. We kept it propt open almost the whole cruise. :)

I've heard the people next door on all my cruises, but maybe I should stop putting a glass up to my ear while putting the glass against the wall :eek:

LOL - that is what my nephew did when my dh and I were arguing... lol - nice! I tired to do that back to my sister and nephew's cabin and could only hear the slight noise of the tv - lol.

I live in Luling outside NO and I (along with thousands of others ) evacuated to your fair city for Katrina.

Also, I was on the Holiday in 1/04 right after LSU won the national championship ( GEAUX TIGERS!). We went the first Thursday after New Years and were a pretty roudy bunch of 40-somethings away from our kids for the first time in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on the noise. We're trying to think of creative ways to partake of the Love Boat while our two kids are on board!.....teee heeeee

Like I have said, I have 3 boys - 3 1/2, 5 and 7 and I totally get how hyper they can be, especially when they are together! A good thing to do it take the kids to dinner a few times at a restaurant and show them what behavior is expected at dinner. If they bahave offer them dessert or a treat. I let my 5 and 7 year old bring their gameboys to dinner. They ONLY get them after they are finished eating and IF they behaved during dinner - it keeps them quiet while the adults finish. Honestly, if I only had my 5 and 7 year old I would take them on our next cruise. It's the 3 1/2 year and the fact that there are 3 of them that stops me....

We go out all the time, and they can be good at times, but if the food takes a while, or if the whole event takes a while, they start to meltdown, LOL....I have my own opinions of why they do that, but until their mother "fixes" that behavior for good, it will be the norm. My friend just isn't firm with them, and if she is, it's a short term thing. They are in that tattletale, she did/he did phase right now...the competition for attention I think.

On the Radiance, I could hear my neighbors' toilets flushing, and on one side, they knocked around in there a lot....not sure what they were doing, but for the first two days, I kept answering my door and no one was there. :)

Tracy

When we were on the Century, our friends were in the cabin next to us. The last day of the cruise my back started to go out on me and when I was trying to get up off the bed I kept moaning and groaning. I called my friend on the phone and asked her if she had any pain pills. She chuckled and said that she thought we'd been having wild and crazy you-know-what! :eek: I said that no, I was in pain! Didn't know they sounded the same! :eek: We later laughed and wondered what the ladies in the cabin on the OTHER side of us thought was going on!:eek:

So, yes, you CAN hear through the walls!

I have always been able to hear at least a little from my neighbors. On Monarch we had a baby next door that you could hear like s/he was in the same room with you. On Rhapsody I was in a cabin between my parents and my aunt & uncle. I could hear their toilets flushing, phones ringing, and my dad (who is partially deaf) talking. Thank goodness I didn't hear any sounds of you know! :eek: If they heard us, no one mentioned it. On Majesty we didn't hear too much, but we could hear the doors opening and closing and the toilets flushing so we knew when our neighbors were in and out. So far Brilliance has been the quietest. Of course, we were on a 12-night Med cruise and the average age was around 60 so I think both our neighbors were sleeping by the time we came dragging into the cabin at night. Also, we were rarely in out cabin. I could hear one neighbor blowing his nose occasionally. I couldn't figure out what that noise was until I heard him out on the balcony. I've never heard anyone blow their nose that loud before. It seriously sounded like a Canadian goose. On our next cruise (Radiance) we have a corner aft cabin. The deck plan looks like we only have adjoining neighbors on one side so hopefully we won't hear each other too much.

We have never heard anyone next to us either...but one time in our younger years we were in our cabin having a late night w/our friends and were still having a good time and evidentily we were louder then we thought, as the cabin next to us beat on the wall...a sign to quite down...and the next day we noticed they changes cabins. LOL

So I guess we have been lucky and never heard our neighbors.

Archived