Afternoon in Naples

Bojeanne

I'm thinking of taking a half-day tour from port of Naples to Pompeii in the morning, which will get me back to the port around noon. I'd like to see Sorrento in the afternoon, but afraid of missing the ferry back to the ship on time. Can anyone suggest a good way to spend the half day in Naples that would be relaxing and scenic? Parks or quiet neighborhoods, maybe? Or can I get a taxi to Sorrento and back? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you want to visit both Pompei and Sorrento you can do it on your own, coming back with the tour group makes it impossible.

It's easy to take either the bus or the train to Pompei, and then on to Sorrento. From Sorrento you can return by ferry which leaves you at the pier adjacent to the cruise port.

I suppose if it makes you more comfortable to start with the tour you could simply leave the tour at Pompei (tell them you're going to so they don't waste time looking for you) and go on from there on your own.

Even if you were willing to spend the money for a taxi or car service land travel is not the way to go to Sorrento, there's only one narrow road onto the peninsula and it's always loaded with traffic.

If you are able to walk uphill about two miles (or take a taxi), we highly recommend a visit to Capella San Savero, to see The Veiled Christ and other works of art. This was one of the most awe-inspiring experiences of our cruise, and a total break from the hustle-bustle of the outside world.

The walk there and back was quite interesting to us, with many churches, homes, and street life.

It's actually only one mile from the cruise port to the Museo Cappella Sansevero. It is uphill, though, so you might consider taking the metro there and walking back.

The Municipio metro station is across the street from the cruise port, just two stops away is Dante and Sansevero is about a third of a mile from there, a flat walk.