Question about Dining at Portofinos or Chops

I have never been on a larger ship that has these restaurants. Can you please explain to me the process... I understand you make reservations (like a normal restaurant or are there only certain times?) Also, is the menu all different prices, or one set price? What type of food do they have? I know I sound like I have never cruised before, but I have - 4 times... just never on a ship with these restaurants. I HOPE my next cruise will be on a larger ship and want to know all about these dining choices.

Thanks!

Chops and Portofinos actually only charge a coverage charge of $20 per person (if I remember right). You can then order anything off the menu that you please. I actually ordered a 2nd prime rib entree on my last cruise because it was just outstanding.

Just stop by the restaurant on your first afternoon if you want a prime-time reservation, otherwise you could stop by when they open for the evening and make a reservation for early or later dining usually without difficulty.

I think Chops even opened for lunch on the sea days on my last cruise (enchantment 05) for a $10 charge pp.

Also, is the menu all different prices, or one set price? What type of food do they have?

As mentioned you pay a set service charge and that's it. You then order whatever you want. Portofino's is basically Italian and Chops is basically a steak house. They are sometimes open for lunch, however the menu is no as extensive at lunch time.

I understand now - thank you... one more thing though... do these restuarants get very crowded and what is the seating like? I guess that's 2 more things, sorry.

During peak times (around 7 PM) they can get crowded - but remember you have a reservation - it is not overflowing - they have no "waiting line" I have ever seen. They have numerous styles/sizes of tables - from two up to 8-10. They move tables together for larger groups. It is worth the visit!

A group of us ate at Chops on our recent Mariner cruise. All I can say is OMG the entire experience was wonderful. The service was magnificent, the food was just super! By the time we say the dessert choices, we were all too full but of course we ordered. The Missisisippi Mud Pie was excellent!

They treat you superbly...the $20 includes your tip...however we have always tipped extra! because it is worth it.

They don't make you feel "stupid" either....we aren't wine experts...however we like what we drink or don't...we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for wine so we ordered something reasonable...however it seems this is a really cheap wine...so much that you have to filter it to get the grape seeds out!!

Well....they did the filter...explained why...and did not look at us as cheap skates! It didn't matter to us really...except I think they were very gracious.

Lou

I believe there is at least one ship that charges a $25 fee. Navigator perhaps? It always causes some confusion on these forums because there will be at least one forum reader/poster who was charged the $25 fee and will assume it's been increased fleet wide. Why RCI does stuff like this is beyond me. Perhaps as of this posting, they've stopped that silly nonsense and all ships are charging the same $20 fee now.

One person can make reservations for all...I made ours for our group of 6 at Chops on the Jewel in November.

It's definitely worth the "extra"...we had dinner at Chops, and I had seen on the room TV how they made the tiramisu that is served in Portofino. The problem was that the tiramisu wasn't on the menu at Chops...I asked anyway, and it was delivered (and even better than it looked on TV :rolleyes: )

Our reservations were for Thursday...I think all agreed we had wished we had gone sooner, so we could have also tried Portofino..unfortunately Friday was the last night of our trip and we didn't want our dining room staff (Carlito and Michael) thinking we had stiffed them..

Next time, we'll know better... :rolleyes: and make reservations at BOTH.

unfortunately Friday was the last night of our trip and we didn't want our dining room staff (Carlito and Michael) thinking we had stiffed them..

It's really not a problem. We've dined at the specialty restaurants twice on the last night and just stopped by the dining room to drop off our tips about the time we'd be finishing dinner there. We also have let the wait staff know that we wouldn't be there the last night but would be brining their tips by later that night.

Just want to clarify one point. The fee ($20 or 25 depending) doesn't include "everything." If you order wine or a cocktail, you will pay extra for that. I don't know if soft drinks are extra being as I don't drink soft drinks. Iced tea is included in the price.

My husband and I always try to eat in Chops and Portofinos at least once each cruise. We have never been disappointed. We prefer Portofinos but that is just us. I'm sure others would prefer Chops. I would eat at Portofinos every night if I had won the LOTTO and could eat any place I desired.

One of the easiest nights to get reservations at either of these restaurants is formal night. Neither of us care anything about lobster, so we don't feel we are missing out. It is also easier if you want to eat as soon as the restaurant opens.

They treat you superbly...the $20 includes your tip...however we have always tipped extra! because it is worth it.

They don't make you feel "stupid" either....we aren't wine experts...however we like what we drink or don't...we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for wine so we ordered something reasonable...however it seems this is a really cheap wine...so much that you have to filter it to get the grape seeds out!!

Well....they did the filter...explained why...and did not look at us as cheap skates! It didn't matter to us really...except I think they were very gracious.

Lou

When we were on the Disney Magic we dined in Palo, which is their upscale restaurant. Our waitress told us that they made a per hour pay (nominal) and that they did not see any of the fee charged.

I am not 100% sure how it works on RCI but it's my understanding that the tip is extra in Potofinos and Chops. The service is wonderful and well worth a tip! :)

We tried Portofino's on the Voyager a couple of years ago - the tiramasu in a chocolate edible bowl was to die for. We tried Chops last year on the Jewel and were equally impressed. Allow for a couple of hours. It is a very relaxing atmosphere - (and don't eat all day before you go).

When we were on the Disney Magic we dined in Palo, which is their upscale restaurant. Our waitress told us that they made a per hour pay (nominal) and that they did not see any of the fee charged.

I am not 100% sure how it works on RCI but it's my understanding that the tip is extra in Potofinos and Chops. The service is wonderful and well worth a tip! :)

On RCI, a portion of the charge is for the tip. It has always said that somewhere in the literature. Perhaps on the reservation card you recieve? I'm not sure where I've read it (other than on these forums) but RCI does put it one something.

Still we have always left an additional tip for the service.

If you can look at menus before you sail, it will give you an idea of which night you would prefer to skip the dining room and try one (or both) of the specialty restaurants. I would encourage you to make your reservations either in person or by phone as soon as possible in order to get the day and time that best suits you. Our friends made reservations for the four of us later in the cruise and we could only get in on the last night of the cruise. That was fine with us as the meal was well worth the charge. We informed our waitstaff in the dining room that we would not be there on the last night due to our Chops reservation. We handed out tips to them on the next to last night of the cruise.

And you don't sit at a table with other people you don't know. Your table is for you and your party only. Not that there is anything wrong with sitting with people you don't know, its just nice to have a dinner alone with your loved ones and not worry about entertaining other people.

I have a question on the same idea..,

I was thinking about reserving Portifino's or Chops

when the main dining room was having Caribbean Night.

I have heard bad things about this.

What is so terrible about Caribbean Night?

It sounds yummy to me, but obviously the general

concensus is the oposite.

I will be on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean on Mariner and

also wondered what night it was on.

No big deal as I can find out on the ship,

if I remember to look :rolleyes:

I thank all of you who take the time to respond to this, and

I am looking forward to hearing your tips.

Odd question, we're doing a back to back cruise in March. Anyone know if we can make our reservation the first week for a night in the second week? Hoping we can easily get a prime time that way and our friends who are going the first week probably wouldn't be interested in doing the specialty restaurants.

HI All!

This thread just got me thinking about my trip on the Navigator 1 1/2 years ago. I ate at Portofino's and Chops (both great!). Actually, I got married on the ship and had my wedding dinner (just me and my husband) at Portofinos.

Here's a picture of the tiramisu at Portofino's!!! AMAZING!!!

This is my first time posting a picture so I hope it works :)

Melissa :)

tiramisu.jpg.6f62dc8f96b9a801fe7482ce0f8e713f.jpg

Archived