Into the Midnight Sun

jiminyC_fan

I am extremely close to booking our next cruise with Viking, Into the Midnight Sun. Last one was the Homelands cruise which was outstanding. I am not really familiar with the ports and the cruise itself. I am guessing that it is concentrated more on the fjords and scenery than the towns. Am I correct? That is what we are most interested in. We've seen so many palaces and churches and just want a change of pace. We thoroughly enjoyed Eidfjord for the experience and peacefulness and I am thinking it will be more like that. Thank you in advance for your input.

We just returned from Midnight Sun (Viking Star, Bergen to London).

You are mostly correct in your assumption: we saw very few churches and palaces, except of course in Edinburgh and London. We also did Viking's pre-cruise Oslo-Bergen package, which features the Bergensbahn (train) from Oslo to Bergen. I will admit that in Oslo we went to the Norsk Folkemuseum and saw the famous Gol Stave Church which dates back to 1200. (we did this on our own - it was not part of Viking's shorex itinerary).

This 'live blog' might give you a sense of where we went, what we saw.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2650400

Edited by screen-gem

And here's another live blog started by russg140 on his recent Midnight Sun voyage (Viking Sea, Bergen to London). Lots of useful information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2644127

I strongly recommend the Bergen to London (Greenwich) direction, as it gets an evening sail up the Thames and passage through the Thames Barrier. It's quite spectacular all lit up, with the London skyline glowing in the distance.

We just got back from this cruise and it was fantastic. We did the London to Bergen route on The Sky, which was really nice. We had a sunset sail out of London (the captain gave us bow access for the sail out) and the Geiranger Fiord (the last stop before Bergen) was incredible. I liked the fact that the cruise “peaked” there (rather than on day two or three if you cruise in the other direction). We also had bow access for both the cruise in and the cruise out of Geiranger, which was amazing. Getting London and Edinburgh behind us early meant a very relaxed cruise with visits to mostly small ports as the cruise progressed. I hope to post some comments about the cruise tomorrow, along with a link to some photographs.

Great information. Thanks to all! It will be Bergen to London. We've done the Bergen to Oslo post cruise last time but we felt we didn't get enough time in Oslo. We will probably fly into Oslo and take the train back to Bergen.

How lucky that you got bow access for the sailout and Geiranger. The captain on the Star was not so accommodating:-(

Here's a link to a time-lapse video I made of the Geiranger sailout. It runs much faster than I would have liked, but it will give you an idea of what to expect. The time-lapse interval was 30 seconds. Next time, I'll use 3 or 5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzpem8r8sjx8i8n/Geiranger%20timelapse%20copy.m4v?dl=0

And here's another live blog started by russg140 on his recent Midnight Sun voyage (Viking Sea, Bergen to London). Lots of useful information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2644127

I strongly recommend the Bergen to London (Greenwich) direction, as it gets an evening sail up the Thames and passage through the Thames Barrier. It's quite spectacular all lit up, with the London skyline glowing in the distance.

There were actually two live threads for Midnight Sun, 2018, this one started by russg140 and this one started by minka34:

Live from Star Into the Midnight Sun, June 30th -July 14th