Koningsdam for a habitual Celebrity cruiser

luv2sail67

I am considering a winter Caribbean cruise on the Koningsdam. We have previously taken 14 cruises on Celebrity (7 in the Caribbean) and want to try something new. To describe us: active 70s, informal, friendly, appreciate good food, enjoy live shows and enrichment activities such as historical or geographical lectures, trivia quizzes, etc.

Of course I have read CC reviews of the ship and other H-A ships and read many posts on this board. But I'd like to hear especially from folks who have sailed on Celebrity for a comparative view, but all comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DW and I enjoy both lines and would have a hard time picking one over the other. We too are in our 70s, with very similar interests, and we've done multiple cruises in the Caribbean with both lines, particularly longer Southern Caribbean cruises, including one on the K'dam. IMO, if you're happy with Celebrity, you'll be happy on the K'dam, so if there's an itinerary that interests you, go for it.

I am considering a winter Caribbean cruise on the Koningsdam. We have previously taken 14 cruises on Celebrity (7 in the Caribbean) and want to try something new. To describe us: active 70s, informal, friendly, appreciate good food, enjoy live shows and enrichment activities such as historical or geographical lectures, trivia quizzes, etc.

Of course I have read CC reviews of the ship and other H-A ships and read many posts on this board. But I'd like to hear especially from folks who have sailed on Celebrity for a comparative view, but all comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve sailed on both and find them very comparable, but I like the variety of specialty restaurants on the Koningsdam better, especially the Tamarind! I also like the Dutch Cafe! Delicious pea soup and excellent cream puffs! And they’ll make a meat and cheese plate to order to take to your cabin. We did that every evening when we went to the cabin to change for dinner. As far as itinerary, I highly recommend the Southern Caribbean. We did that on the Koningsdam in Feb this year and had a great time! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did K'Dam last November, southern route 10 days and enjoyed it very much. We still consider =X= as our #1 choice, but HAL as a close second, especially K'Dam. As mentioned above, Tamarind was a hit both for the food and the friendly service. Pinnacle Grill was very good, and we aren't usually wowed by the PG. The theater is impressive, but that does not seem to be HAL's strong suit. Billboard was outstanding with 2 pianos; it became our go to pre-dinner stop. BBKings is nice, but during our 10 days was way too loud, so loud we could not spend time there.

I'm sure you will have a great time!

Thanks in advance.

Try taking both lines in one year and then compare.

Edited by JRG
change of text

Did you mean Celebrity? OP hasn't cruised will HAL.

Must have been a crazy ivan.

Seriously though , give K-Dam a try and don't necesarilly rely on the majority opinion you read here. I just believe you have to try both to compare.

Edited by JRG

I want to thank all of you who replied to my question.Your answers have made me more confident about trying H-A and Koningsdam in particular. In general I've also found that members of this Board are a very friendly and helpful bunch with a lot fewer snarky comments than I've seen elsewhere.

We haven’t cruised on the Koningsdam but have sailed CELEBRITY reflection and HAL’s Nieuw Amsterdam. We loved our Celebrity cruise and we have loved our HAL cruises. We are in our 50’s and really appreciate the food, the price point, the interesting itineraries, the service and friendliness of the staff and the more laid back classic vibe that HAL offers. We also appreciate the less crowded pool and bar areas. We keep going back to HAL for those reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums