Vieques Biobay tour

aggiemom11

interested in doing a Biobay tour on my trip there. Looking for a good tour company. Any suggestions?
Are you planning on doing this before departing on a cruise? Or while in port on a cruise?

Vieques is a long way from San Juan. You can get there by air but it's $250 or so RT per person. Flight is just under a 1/2 hour and you need to be at the airport about 30-40 minutes before. So 2.5+ hours travel time from the piers. You can take a taxi to Fajardo for around $150. Assuming the roads are good it will take about an hour + . Then take an hour ferry ride to the island for $2 pp.But that's 4 hours travel time.

Trip Advisor has several reviews of companies offering tours once on Vieques.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

I am staying in Vieques after my cruise. I just need advice on which biobay tour company to go with.

Thanks

Have a wonderful time, there. Again check Trip Advisor for reviews there are several companies. And bear in mind that under a full moon, people say you really can't see anything so hopefully your stay there is during the new moon or waning gibbon phases.

I am staying in Vieques after my cruise. I just need advice on which biobay tour company to go with.

Thanks

I can't recall the names of the companies- as it's been some time, but very much recall the style. We've done both a kayak and a pontoon boat tour of the bay.

The pontoon boat is a lot easier to get in and out of when you go for a swim in the water (which you very much should). And if the weather starts to roll in, they are a lot easier to deal with.

The kayak tour very much depends on how good everyone is at handing a kayak on their own. And even in good weather, the spread of still is pretty wide (remember, it's dark and there are no lights). When weather came on us, it was chaos, and many people did panic. It was a mess.

Basically, I'd suggest a pontoon boat tour. Whoever that ends up being.

Have a wonderful time, there. Again check Trip Advisor for reviews there are several companies. And bear in mind that under a full moon, people say you really can't see anything so hopefully your stay there is during the new moon or waning gibbon phases.

The glow is pretty bright when you jump in the water. And I would encourage anyone doing this tour to go for a swim- it's pretty cool.

Just remember to NOT wear sunscreen.

I thought I had read that it was no longer allowed to swim in the biobay. Is this the case or can you swim?

That would be a shame- the three times we've been at one, swimming was the huge highlight to me.

Although, I just saw a video of one of the tours, where one of them is pouring water all over himself. Which isn't that far from swimming....

I booked this tour a few years ago. It's the only one that returns to the mainland the same night if you don't want to or don't have time to spend the night on the island. It was a kayaking tour (not sure if they allow motor boats in the bio bay), and no swimming was allowed in an effort to preserve the microorganisms. I enjoyed it very much. They will pick you up in the afternoon and transport you to the dock in Farjado, I believe, then take a quick, bouncy, and wet in my case, ride over in one of the SCUBA boats, transfer to taxis, then meet up with the operator of the trip to the bio bay and the actual kayaking tour as it's getting dark. After the tour, the reverse to get back to the mainland. One meal on the boat is provided as well. As others have said, pay close attention to the lunar calendar; the less light in the sky the more brilliant the bio bay is! Also, I cannot tell you if the storms have affected the bio bay at all. The microorganisms are very sensitive and if there were issues, I don't know if they've recovered yet or not. Enjoy seeing all of the wild horses on the island as well. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I had read that it was no longer allowed to swim in the biobay. Is this the case or can you swim?

Hi,

That is also what we were told by the hotel staff on the island of PR in both 2016 & 2017. No swimming in the water anymore. We had flights to Vieques in 2016.We never made that flight though, my nephew died unexpectedly while we were on vacation. <|3

But, of course this info is 2nd/3rd hand, so I'd call directly, just to be sure.

:) Bobbi

• 1 month later...