Difference between ships

minniemom

I have never been on Holland ships before. How do you know which one to go on. If a ship is going to the Carribean, and there are 3 listed, which one do you pick? Are any nicer than others? Are some newer is that the difference?? Just trying to figure all of this out. We have done Disney twice, and we are thinking of another line, and wondered about HAL. Any help??

You might want to read through several threads to get a feel for the different ships, what they offer, and which one(s) match what you're looking for in a cruise.

Or, you might want to sit down with a good TA to discuss your cruising style and which ships/lines best suit you.

In choosing from the HAL ships you have three classes: S-class---smallest of the bunch; R-class---same basic layout, but a bit larger, with a mid-ship staircase/elevator bank; Vista-class---largest of the three classes, with a different layout.

The Vista-class ships are geared toward families, so you will typically find a higher percentage of children on them.

Newer does not necessarily equal nicer, IMHO. I wouldn't want to sail the newer Vista-class---they're not my style. I prefer the smaller, more initmate S-class---even though they don't have that desirable mid-ship elevator.

You'll find that HAL's hallmark is the smiling crew that will greet you as you pass---and remember your name and drink preferences after one go-round. All the ships have lovely art works and fresh flowers.

Good luck in your research! It can be a fun time.

We enjoy the Vista class, but the R-class is my overall preference. The Rotterdam is my top pick, but the Zaandam is right up there, too. We've been on the Prinsendam, which is HAL's smallest ship (fewer than 800 pax) and is in a class of her own. I don't believe she will be one of your choices, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy any of them. The best way to judge is to experience them for yourself. So, after this cruise, book another on a different ship. You simply MUST try them all! ;)

Our cruises are itinerary driven for the most part. We really enjoy the Caribbean and our next cruise will pretty well exhaust having visited all the major islands at least once. In fact, our research for our next vacation is pointed more to a Med cruise or possibly South America. Once we decide on a basic area/itinerary we start to compare prices and ships, eventually narrowing it down to our selection. All things being equal we go with HAL as we feel comfortable with their ships and the overall experience but we're not exactly in the "HAL or nothing" club. As for HAL ships we've been on the S and Vista class and are really looking forward to the Volendam as our first venture on an R class HAL ship. Right now we prefer the smaller S class.

Archived