Beverage Package Questions

Have not sailed HAL in 11 years. Used to Celebrity lately. So included with cruise fare is the Signature value beverage package. Question:

1. If I want a drink priced over $9 - can I pay the difference in pricing or do I have to pay the full price?

2. Can I upgrade to the Elite drink package and just pay the different between the value of the Signature package and the Elite? If so, when and how can I do that?

Apologize if this has been asked many times, but I did a search and could not immediately identify the answers.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. It is unfortunate that HAL does not allow to pay the difference.

Can I upgrade at any time during the cruise - i.e. I try it out for the first day or 2 to see how I like it and if I don't I can upgrade? Also does my husband also have to upgrade or can only 1 of us do that?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. It is unfortunate that HAL does not allow to pay the difference.

Can I upgrade at any time during the cruise - i.e. I try it out for the first day or 2 to see how I like it and if I don't I can upgrade? Also does my husband also have to upgrade or can only 1 of us do that?

Thanks!

It is indeed unfortunate. Why they make it harder for us to give them our money mystifies me. :DI told that to our PCC when asking about this topic. But she was not aware at the time that the Explore4 beverage package could be upgraded. She sent me to Ships Services. They said that yes, you both have to have the same package and if you plan to upgrade, you have to do it before you buy your first drink onboard, no waiting.;)

Make sure you take a look at HAL's beverage pricing before you worry about going over the $9 limit. Here's a real world example for you:

We were on the NCL Escape last October where the beverage package covers up to $15 and you can pay the overage. ounds great compared to HAL, right?

I drink Maker's Mark. It's $8.50 on HAL. On NCL, it was $17.95. So, on HAL I was covered. On NCL, I had to pay $2.95 + 18% gratuity, or $3.48.

Some pretty recent drink prices are here, courtesy of Roger Jett (Crew News)

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus

RetiredMustang also has scanned drink menus which you can see below:

The Mix martinis are some of the very few drinks over the SBP limit. Are you getting a secret commission on Elite Beverage Package upgrades. ;) (Just kidding.)

All very helpful. I appreciate the drink menus. We enjoy good wine and the offerings $9 or under are pretty slim pickings so will probably upgrade. I do see that many of the mixed drinks are within the Signature package which is nice.

I have to do that when we board is that correct? Wonder if I can do it ahead of time?

Thanks!

All very helpful. I appreciate the drink menus. We enjoy good wine and the offerings $9 or under are pretty slim pickings so will probably upgrade. I do see that many of the mixed drinks are within the Signature package which is nice.

I have to do that when we board is that correct? Wonder if I can do it ahead of time?

Thanks!

As with everything , YMMV and contacting Ships Services is a good idea. That said, I was given the impression by Ships Services that it can only be done once onboard if you are upgrading the Explore4. But I was also told it would be very available and not tough to do at all.

The lady I spoke with gave me the impression the upgrade would be just like other beverage/wine package offers. If it is like so many beverage/wine packages on HAL there will be beverage staff actively trying to sell the packages at lunch/dinner that first day. I know with the wine packages they used to have tables set up with the various wine options, beverage staff right there taking orders, outside the lido restaurant but that was a few years back. Other more recent cruisers can hopefully give you the exact low down on how the upgrade works. :)

This upcoming cruise will be our first in almost 6 years. Thus far we are set to just buy the Elite outright when we get onboard, using up our onboard credit as the Explore4 is a $$ wash at this time. ;)

Thanks Fatcat04. Appreciate the info. I was hoping it would be just as easy to upgrade as it has been on Celebrity cruises. Our last few cruises with exception of Oceania have been on Celebrity, so we have just gotten used to how they do things.

Yes the drink package is through the Explore4 - I did see comments about that the "deal" or "perks" or whatever you call them may not be worth it - so I priced with and without and actually found that what we are getting through this TA is a good deal and includes the Explore4. I have seen some places where it did not make sense.

Thanks Fatcat04. Appreciate the info. I was hoping it would be just as easy to upgrade as it has been on Celebrity cruises. Our last few cruises with exception of Oceania have been on Celebrity, so we have just gotten used to how they do things.

Yes the drink package is through the Explore4 - I did see comments about that the "deal" or "perks" or whatever you call them may not be worth it - so I priced with and without and actually found that what we are getting through this TA is a good deal and includes the Explore4. I have seen some places where it did not make sense.

Exactly. It really is all just what is the best $$ deal. Hope it all works out great for you guys. Have a fantastic cruise!! :D