Boston - where to purchase Charlie ticket near pier

DaveOKC

We need to purchase a day pass for the Boston bus and subway system as soon as we disembark our our port stop in Boston (Black Falcon Pier). I understand that there is a SL2 bus near the pier that will take us to the Red Line subway, so we need to get a one day "Charlie Ticket" for the bus and subway before we get on the bus.

So, where can I get this Charlie Ticket near the pier? Also, is there a SL2 bus stop nearby that place?

We need to purchase a day pass for the Boston bus and subway system as soon as we disembark our our port stop in Boston (Black Falcon Pier). I understand that there is a SL2 bus near the pier that will take us to the Red Line subway, so we need to get a one day "Charlie Ticket" for the bus and subway before we get on the bus.

So, where can I get this Charlie Ticket near the pier? Also, is there a SL2 bus stop nearby that place?

The nearest Charlie Card sales point to the cruise terminal is at 23 Drydock Ave, in the Design Center building across the street from the cruise terminal. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Silver Line bus stop. Or you can get on the Silver Line bus, pay on the bus, and take it to South Station and get one there. South Station is where you transfer from Silver Line to Red Line.

Just to add, that a Charlie Card is not required to use the T.

The nearest Charlie Card sales point to the cruise terminal is at 23 Drydock Ave, in the Design Center building across the street from the cruise terminal. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Silver Line bus stop. Or you can get on the Silver Line bus, pay on the bus, and take it to South Station and get one there. South Station is where you transfer from Silver Line to Red Line.

THANKS! I looked it up and see a stop at 23 Drydock Ave - can I get on the bus right there?

Another question (related) - how safe are the subway routes in Boston? Thinking of going South to JFK Museum (Red Line) and West to Fenway Park - Green Line (from the ship of course).

T is safe, if a little confusing, especially if you're not used to subway systems. Boston's T is infamous for folks getting lost. Get a map, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Folks aren't quite as "distant" as NYC.

Remember the song "The man who never returned" by the Kingston Trio? That was the old days, when you had to present your ticket to get out of the T.

Great thing about Boston is the number of colleges, so college students are a large part of the T clientele.

T is safe, if a little confusing, especially if you're not used to subway systems. Boston's T is infamous for folks getting lost. Get a map, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Folks aren't quite as "distant" as NYC.

Remember the song "The man who never returned" by the Kingston Trio? That was the old days, when you had to present your ticket to get out of the T.

Great thing about Boston is the number of colleges, so college students are a large part of the T clientele.

Thanks! I went to college in Philly and used their great (IMO) transit system to get around for 4 years, so I know to get a good map and plot my route ahead of time.

Any tips as to how to tell which direction the lines (Red and Green) are running when I get into the station?

Edited by DaveOKC

Thanks! I went to college in Philly and used their great (IMO) transit system to get around for 4 years, so I know to get a good map and plot my route ahead of time.

Any tips as to how to tell which direction the lines (Red and Green) are running when I get into the station?

The signs usually mention the end of the line in each direction, which is why a good map is important if you don't know the city.

Another question (related) - how safe are the subway routes in Boston? Thinking of going South to JFK Museum (Red Line) and West to Fenway Park - Green Line (from the ship of course).

Those are two very different trips in different directions with multiple transfers. How much time do you have in port and what day of the week?

To get to JFK Museum you take the Silver Line to South Station, transfer to the Red Line direction Ashmont or Braintree to JFK/Umass, and shuttle bus to the JFK museum. Then shuttle bus back to JFK/Umass, Red Line Inbound to Park St, and green line outbound B, C, or E train to Kenmore. Then any green line train inbound back to Park St, Red Line Ashmont or Braintree train 2 stops to South Station, and Silver Line SL 2 train to the pier.

Trip planner estimates an hour for the first trip, an hour 10 minutes for the second trip, and an hour for the third trip. Add some wiggle room time and you've spent a half of an 8 hour day riding the MBTA just like our famous "Charlie".

These are three separate trips with free transfers. That's $2.75/trip without a Charlie card and $2.25/trip with a Charlie card. Not worth buying a day pass for $12. Also probably not worth wasting the time to find a Charlie Card on Dry Dock Ave.

Edited by 138east

Those are two very different trips in different directions with multiple transfers. How much time do you have in port and what day of the week?

To get to JFK Museum you take the Silver Line to South Station, transfer to the Red Line direction Ashmont or Braintree to JFK/Umass, and shuttle bus to the JFK museum. Then shuttle bus back to JFK/Umass, Red Line Inbound to Park St, and green line outbound B, C, or E train to Kenmore. Then any green line train inbound back to Park St, Red Line Ashmont or Braintree train 2 stops to South Station, and Silver Line SL 2 train to the pier.

Trip planner estimates an hour for the first trip, an hour 10 minutes for the second trip, and an hour for the third trip. Add some wiggle room time and you've spent a half of an 8 hour day riding the MBTA just like our famous "Charlie".

These are three separate trips with free transfers. That's $2.75/trip without a Charlie card and $2.25/trip with a Charlie card. Not worth buying a day pass for $12. Also probably not worth wasting the time to find a Charlie Card on Dry Dock Ave.

Thanks! Now, if we just take the SL2 bus to South Station, how do we pay the fare? Can you give it to the driver? And how much will it be (I have seen it quoted at $2.75 in one place and $2.00 cash in another)?

Thanks! Now, if we just take the SL2 bus to South Station, how do we pay the fare? Can you give it to the driver? And how much will it be (I have seen it quoted at $2.75 in one place and $2.00 cash in another)?

It's confusing for the Silver Line because it's a "bus" that connects directly to the subway at South Station. The cost is $2.75 without a Charlie Card. You get a free transfer to the Red Line at South Station. If you're going to Fenway, you can get another free transfer to the Green Line at Park St. I get the impression that you might exit the system at South Station? If so, you lose your subway transfer privileges. Cash fares do not offer bus transfer privileges.

I found this tip on the website:

Or, pay in cash

• Tell the driver you are paying your fare in cash.
  • Insert the amount displayed on the fare box.

Tip! If you insert more than $0.25 over the required single ride fare, the excess will be loaded onto a CharlieTicket and dispensed from the fare box.

It's confusing for the Silver Line because it's a "bus" that connects directly to the subway at South Station. The cost is $2.75 without a Charlie Card. You get a free transfer to the Red Line at South Station. If you're going to Fenway, you can get another free transfer to the Green Line at Park St. I get the impression that you might exit the system at South Station? If so, you lose your subway transfer privileges. Cash fares do not offer bus transfer privileges.

I found this tip on the website:

Or, pay in cash

• Tell the driver you are paying your fare in cash.
  • Insert the amount displayed on the fare box.

Tip! If you insert more than $0.25 over the required single ride fare, the excess will be loaded onto a CharlieTicket and dispensed from the fare box.

Thanks, but just to be clear, if I take the SL2 to South Station I get a free transfer to the Red Line (I am paying cash)?

Thanks, but just to be clear, if I take the SL2 to South Station I get a free transfer to the Red Line (I am paying cash)?

Yes as long as you don't go through the exit gates ( hard to do when arriving on the Silver Line, but easier to make that mistake when arriving southbound on the Red Line)

Direction Alewife takes you to Park St in 2 stops. Any train Direction Ashmont or Braintree takes you to JFK/Umass.

It doesn't matter how you pay to get on the Silver Line. You just have to get off at South Station so you are in the free transfer zone.