Cape Liberty tightens power strip rules

Mythbuster

No problem taking the Belkin on board at Vancouver.

But do you understand that it is a security hazard (see the coastal guard link on previous post). Electricity on ship works differently than on land (there is no "earth"), and such protectors assumes land and specific dangers (thunderstorm). They work fine, until there is a problem: on shore, they will protect you and the devices, blocking surges, but on ships (old houses, campers, ...) they increase damages, and so the only hope it is a fusible (or a melting cable) before fire.

If there are forbidden items, there is a reason. In this case it is not to make you buy on ship stores.

I brought 2 on last week as well. 1 in carry on and one in checked luggage.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find an actual power strip in the living room area of the family verandah used for the television. We had plenty of charging abilty.

For all of you who have written that you were able to take certain adapters/power strips on board, was the adapter seen by a security officer and you were told that it was OK? Or was the adapter just not detected? There is a big difference between an adapter being "approved" vs "lucky it wasn't detected". Many of you who have written that you were able to take certain adapters on board lead us to believe that it was OK (approved). When in reality it you may have just been lucky it wasn't seen.

But do you understand that it is a security hazard (see the coastal guard link on previous post). Electricity on ship works differently than on land (there is no "earth"), and such protectors assumes land and specific dangers (thunderstorm). They work fine, until there is a problem: on shore, they will protect you and the devices, blocking surges, but on ships (old houses, campers, ...) they increase damages, and so the only hope it is a fusible (or a melting cable) before fire.

If there are forbidden items, there is a reason. In this case it is not to make you buy on ship stores.

I stated a fact. Nothing else.

Do you know how the electrical system on the M-class works? Is it Delta?

If you don’t know, then kindly back off your insinuations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm very sorry. It was not a personal attack, the thread seem to become: how to muggle things. I wanted to make sure people understand that it is a risk. But I'm sorry, I should not have quoted you, which gave a personal feeling (and not a generic comment as it should be.

Delta? I really doubt: many devices connect external case with Earth, so using anything "live" would be dangerous. As far I know, ships try also to get Earth "neutral" (with magnesium and other more reactive chemicals), in order to diminish rust problems. But I have little knowledge of ship electrical systems. On shore it is so easy to get "earth", with just small metallic things. With an hammer, wire, and tape we can fix anything, but fire.

I stated a fact. Nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm very sorry. It was not a personal attack, the thread seem to become: how to muggle things. I wanted to make sure people understand that it is a risk. But I'm sorry, I should not have quoted you, which gave a personal feeling (and not a generic comment as it should be.

Delta? I really doubt: many devices connect external case with Earth, so using anything "live" would be dangerous. As far I know, ships try also to get Earth "neutral" (with magnesium and other more reactive chemicals), in order to diminish rust problems. But I have little knowledge of ship electrical systems. On shore it is so easy to get "earth", with just small metallic things. With an hammer, wire, and tape we can fix anything, but fire.

Yes, in fact ships are wired "delta". The difference between ships and land is that on land the "neutral" or white wire is connected to the ground wire at the breaker box, so they are both at the same potential. This means that you can have current flowing in the ground wire, but at a potential that will not result in a shock if touched. The problem with ships is that the "ground" or "earth" is the steel ship, and current flowing in an object made of two or more different metals, when immersed in salt water, will lead to galvanic corrosion. Therefore, both legs of a single phase circuit (the traditional black and white wires at your outlet) are kept above the ground wire potential so that any ground faults (problems with insulation that lead to current flowing in the ground wire) can be identified and corrected quickly to prevent the galvanic corrosion. The problem with this is that a ground fault somewhere else on the ship (hundreds of feet away) will present a "reverse voltage" (a voltage higher in the ground wire than in either of the "hot" or "neutral" wires in your surge protected Belkin mini), which the MOV semi-conductors that provide the surge protection are not designed to handle. This can cause these semi-conductors to go into "thermal runaway" and overheat even at low current flows, eventually causing a fire. So, your Belkin mini, which is in perfect condition, even "right out of the box", can fail and cause a fire because of a ground fault completely out of your control, at a location remote from your cabin.