Taxi availability from Havensight? Difficulty finding taxi to return from Red Hook?

GoHoward

My wife and I have booked a day sail and snorkel excursion from Red Hook that departs at 9:15 AM, while our cruise ship is scheduled to pull into Havensight at 8 AM. We have a 6 hour all day sail booked, returning to Red Hook about 3:30 ahead of a 4:30 PM all aboard.

Is there ever a wait for taxis from Havensight when ships arrive? For those who have been to Red Hook, did you have any difficulty finding a taxi to get you back to the dock in the late afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

Your schedule is really tight. depending on how many ships are in port they sometimes have to tender guests in and the process can be slow.

Then coming back if you get delayed coming in you may have trouble getting back to Havensight in time. If your 15 or 20 minutes late coming in and then have to wait for the taxi to fill.

I think you should look into one of the ships excursions instead.

Thanks for this input - I reached out to the sailboat captain, and confirmed that we can be back in Red Hook by 3 PM, ahead of a 4:30 all aboard and a 5 PM departure. Should that give us enough of a margin?

I would book a ship excursion, but nothing like this (day sail to St John, stopping at quiet beaches and islands) is offered, and at $145 per person it is a great value...as long as we don't miss the boat!

Is this a private excursion just for your group? How many in your group? If you're in a group you fill up the taxi quicker than if you're just a couple.

Even getting off the ship quickly to get to Red Hook can be a slow process depending on so many factors so no guarantee you can get to Red Hook by 9. If others are booked on that day trip they are not going to want to wait for you if you're late.

I have been on a couple of sailboats and powerboats out of Red Hook. The Captain has been nice enough to call ahead for a taxi when we were close to returning. Can't hurt to ask your Captain to call ahead for you.

I have been on a couple of sailboats and powerboats out of Red Hook. The Captain has been nice enough to call ahead for a taxi when we were close to returning. Can't hurt to ask your Captain to call ahead for you.

Thanks - our captain has kindly offered to arrange a taxi, and to get us back to port by 3 PM ahead of a 5 PM sailaway. We feel comfortable with that arrangement and margin for unexpected developments.

In your sailing / boat trips out of Red Hook, were you able to make it back to the ship comfortably?

We're looking forward to a day of sailing the islands and beaches around St John!