Train from munich to nuremberg?

etravel

Hello..next summer we will be on the legendary danube cruise with avalon departing from nuremberg..we booked our flights into munich so we could have 1 night to check it out and visit a famous beer hall! Then the next day we would like to take a high speed train (or regular train) to nuremberg...i understand it's not much over an hour..anyone have experience with this? Know if the train arrives close to the port? I am sure we would take a taxi from the arrival point to the avalon ship...i did try to search german rail but looks like too early to book for june...so any pointers would be appreciated! :d

We took a train from Munich to Passau this spring. Quite easy. If you go back to the DB site and put in a dummy booking for October you will be able to see the trains and prices. I took a brief look and there appears to be at least 2 trains per hour between Munich and Nurnberg.

..i did try to search german rail but looks like too early to book for june...

On their website www.bahn.de, German railways do not show trains after timetable change, which takes place on Dec. 9th. Train connections after that date usually are shown six to eight weeks before the timetable change, so keep a bit patient and look again in October. Do not assume major changes in the timetable though.

Reduced prices for long distance trains can be booked 91 days before the travel date. Standard flex price for ICE-long distance trains is 54 Euro one way in 2nd class, reduced tickets can be cheaper, but are valid only on the booked train. Train ride takes an hour and 10 minutes. Regional trains, which take some 40 minutes longer, can be considerably cheaper. Bavaria ticket, valid on any regional trains in Bavaria, comes 31 Euro for 2 pax in 2nd class, 52 Euro in 1st class. Valid on weekdays after 0900 hrs, Sat, Sun, publ holidays all day (maybe next year the prices will be an Euro or two up).

We did the same cruise a few years ago; stayed in Munich for a few days then took the train to Nuremberg. Very easy to do. You'll need to take a cab from the train station to the boat since the docking area is not close to the city center. There should be plenty of cabs outside the station. Just make sure to check with your CD that morning to find out the dock location. There's a great website seat61.com that has lots of helpful info on taking trains in Europe.

Ditto on seat61 - great site.

We stayed in Munich pre river cruise over Christmas (stayed at the Charles Hotel) and walked over to the station Christmas morning - station was busy even for Christmas Day! (lots of signage and very easy to navigate the station) - took the train to Vilshofen and then hopped in a cab from the station with another couple we met on the platform who were going to the ship as well.

Would love to sail again over the holidays - maybe a few days earlier before Christmas to experience more of he markets in full swing.