FYI Pre-Pay Gratuities

C Cruise Dude

I bet they get loads of calls asking if additional gratuities are due as it relates to the drinks because of the difference of it being included in the fare vs. part of the UBP. If I had to guess that is where the miscommunication was, gratuities for drinks instead of the service charge.

I was looking at transatlantics for NCL and the include free open bar so it's not just Sky.

See, this is where NCL makes it more confusing by using the same terms but meaning different things. The inclusive drinks with no 20% service charge is only on the Sky (and Sun) on the 3 or 4 day sailings. The daily service charge (room steward, etc. gratuities) is higher to supposedly cover the loss of the 20% charges. And it is often referred to as free open bar.

NCL also refers to the Unlimited Beverage Package as Free Open Bar, but the 20% service charge applies and will be added and charged to your booking on a transatlantic. The charge will be part of your final payment and 20% of $89 per day adds up quickly on those long transatlantics.

So confused. So no matter what my 4 day Sky will charge me $19.99 per person daily for me' date=' DH, DS18 and DD15? I'm a bartender and DH is a waiter. We would tip way more but is this automatically added?[/quote']

Yes, the $19.99 per person per day is automatic and is supposed to cover the bartenders and restaurant waiters and rooms stewards as well as those behind the scenes. But it is in a pool of some sort so they don't see the results of their service unless you tip extra. We always tip the room steward and bartenders in cash if they are good. But on the short cruises you barely have time to get to know anyone.

So confused. So no matter what my 4 day Sky will charge me $19.99 per person daily for me' date=' DH, DS18 and DD15? I'm a bartender and DH is a waiter. We would tip way more but is this automatically added?[/quote']

Yes, this is automatically added. You can certainly tip additional in cash and while is appreciated it isn’t expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, this is automatically added. You can certainly tip additional in cash and while is appreciated it isn’t expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always tip the cabin steward extra at the end of the cruise if he/she has done a good job. Also, we tip the servers in the specialty restaurants. If we have an exceptional bartender, we will tip him extra and find that he will look out for you and give you special attention etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was nothing to clarify. A question was asked and properly answered. Had she called in to buy excursions would you have expected them to remind her that specialty dining, the spa, and the "art" are all different charges?
Agreed...... question asked and answered 100% accurately.

However, this question is one of the more popular ones where people get confused about gratuities and service charge...... really not a stretch to expect the PCC to clarify what the caller was asking since the terms are interchangeable on NCL's website and even this forum. I would have no expectation if the caller asked about dinner reservations to clarify they didn't mean making an excursion reservation.