Family of 5 in OV?

daydreamer16

Planning a cruise with a few family members in 2019 or 2020. My daughter & husband have 3 kids 7,4 &2 and I was telling her about the family veranda cabins but she doesn't want a veranda with such young kids. Can a family of 5 stay in an OV? The last time they cruised they only had 1.Thanks

Planning a cruise with a few family members in 2019 or 2020. My daughter & husband have 3 kids 7,4 &2 and I was telling her about the family veranda cabins but she doesn't want a veranda with such young kids. Can a family of 5 stay in an OV? The last time they cruised they only had 1.Thanks
There is a huge difference between the family veranda cabins on the M-class ships and the S-class ships.

On the S-class ships there should be no problem because you get a separate large bedroom for the parents, a separate small bedroom with bunk beds for 2 children, and a large living/dining room.

But on the M-class ships the FV cabin is only one large room that has a sliding divider to separate the bedroom area from the living room area. The children sleep on the couches in the living room area, so you lose the use of your living room area in the evening once the couches are made up as beds.

Those large FV balconies are great, but if you have children who are climbers, the outer corner FV balconies could be a concern because they have some open railings that can be very tempting to small children who like to climb.

But the inner FV cabin balconies don't have any open railings, only plexiglass panels all the way across.

So an inner FV cabin would probably be preferable for someone who has concerns about traveling with a child who would be tempted to climb on the railings.

In case you are considering a corner FV cabin on one of the M-class ships, here is a link to a video that shows how the cabin looks with the couches made up as beds at night, and also shows the open railings on the balcony.

Edited by varoo

Thanks varoo! I've only seen the FV on the Summit as a friend and her family had one. My daughter was on that cruise too and she remembered that the veranda was something her kids might climb on, which is why she doesn't want to stay in one. Maybe an S class would be better? Thanks for your help!

The balcony doors are heavy to open. I don’t think even the 7 year old could manage. Definately not the younger children. The benefit of the balcony is that mum and dad can enjoy sitting out when the small children are napping. Also enjoy the balcony if the children go to bed early.