Bringing Blow Up Pool on Ship

wentworth

Hi

Thought I had read somewhere that people have brought small blow up

pools on the ship for toddlers who are not potty trained to use.

Can someone verify this and tell me how they were able to get the pool

blown up?

Thank for any suggestions.

All I ever remember seeing is that it is a big no no to bring the inflatable kiddie pools. The argument is there is only limited deck space, anyway, so where are you going to put it? Is it fair to ask others to step around the pool? What if every parent with a toddler brought an inflatable pool, where would they all go? etc...

I think those are all fair questions, but by no means do I know what the policy of each cruise line is. The best thing to do is to check with the cruise line and find out if you are allowed to bring one on in the first place. If you are, my guess is a small foot pump would probably do the trick and be the easiest to pack.

Navigator of the seas had its own blow up pool 9/23-10/8. We did Legend OTS 2004 and Rhapsody 2003 and guests had brought pools on each of these cruises. I did notice that each time guests were inviting other toddlers to join them. I would definately bring it.

I've seen parents with these. I do not believe any line has a rule against them. Common sense would indicate that you would need to find one of the less popular spots in which to set it up (if you do it on deck) and that you'd go with one pretty small.

As to blowing it up, I assume either by mouth or bring a hand pump. As to draining it, set up near a drain - the are all over the place on deck (how else could they 'swab' the decks :) ).

I don't know that I'd count on the ship providing one.

I am so glad you asked this. I am going on Fantasy on 2/19 with a one year old and I bought a small blow up pool. We do have a room with a balcony so hopefully we can put it there. If it doesnt seem in the way, I would also try finding a place on one of the decks to place it. I know some people are against this, but a day at sea with a one year old who isnt allowed in the pools could be a long one. I figure if we have our own small pool she can splash and play and everyone will be happy. We would never do it however, if it was crowded or in the way. When are you going on your cruise? I would be happy to let you know how it goes when we get back.

We brought a small pool last year on the Jewel and plan to bring one on our Jan 21st Serenade sailing. It was a very small one and we blew it up the old fashioned way, by mouth. We made sure we went to an area that was out of the way and had a few extra towels on hand to clean up any spilled water. We got a "bucket of beer" bucket from the bar to fill it with. We also used the bucket to drain it. No one ever said anything to us, other than what a great idea for the little ones. I think if you are respectful of others and don't position it in the main drag, you will be fine. Our little guy loved having it.

I had thought we would bring a small pool and set it up on the aft deck so

the baby could play and enjoy. I have no intention of placing it in any

ones way. If all the other parents of toddlers bring blow up pools I guess

we would regroup and maybe SHARE!!!!!!!

My question was how did other people blow theirs up, other than by

mouth or bringing a hand pump. If no other suggestions we will choose

the obvious.

Thanks for your help.

I noticed that on the Legend a dad had the honor of blowing up the pool. Later that night I saw it leaned up against a wall next to the bar with a stack of deck chairs holding it in place. It was right next to a staff only door. The next day it was back out on deck, back in use. . My guess is the family made arrangements with the staff to keep it on deck so it did not have to be blown up everyday.

I had thought we would bring a small pool and set it up on the aft deck so

the baby could play and enjoy. I have no intention of placing it in any

ones way. If all the other parents of toddlers bring blow up pools I guess

we would regroup and maybe SHARE!!!!!!!

My question was how did other people blow theirs up, other than by

mouth or bringing a hand pump. If no other suggestions we will choose

the obvious.

Thanks for your help.

Like I said in my post "by no means do I know what the policy of each cruise line is. The best thing to do is to check with the cruise line and find out if you are allowed to bring one on in the first place. If you are, my guess is a small foot pump would probably do the trick and be the easiest to pack."

Just trying to make sure that you didn't carry the pool and then not be able to use it ... that's all.

By the way ... this is what you asked in your initial post:

"Thought I had read somewhere that people have brought small blow up

pools on the ship for toddlers who are not potty trained to use.

Can someone verify this and tell me how they were able to get the pool

blown up?"

Looks like my answer:

1. Verified it .. and presented the possibility that it might not be allowed and/or may be frowned upon.

2. Provided what I thought might be the easiest method of inflating the pool (note you did not say "other than by mouth or bringing a hand pump").

Anyway ... It appears you think I was being critical in some manner .. and that was not the case at all. Just trying to help out. Have a good cruise.

• 1 month later...

We will be on the Navigator in August with a one year old. There will be room on our decks for an inflatable pool but on sea days I would also like to bring it down by one of the pools if possible. I am trying to plan port days where she can spend as much time as possible in the water so that she will be satisfied with the inflatable and Fisher Price experience on sea days. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Cherie

Where do you think you will put this pool on your deck? and you have to be kidding about taking it down by the pool area. There isn't enough room to walk without someone bringing an inflatable pool. Plus if you bring one others will want to bring one:o , I would think that they would tell you you cannot have it by the pool, simple because there is not enough room for inflatable pools all over the place.

Hi JudyO,

On previous posts people have indicated that they have brought inflatables on board and put them on their balconies. We have two of the largest balconies on the ship, 1-234 sq. ft., and 1- 131 sq ft., so I'm hoping we'll find room on one of those for a small pool. I have no intention of intruding where we are not welcome, which is why I am asking for suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Cherie

Hi

We just returned from the Carnival Liberty cruise. I was the one who

initially asked the question about how to blow up the pool. We did

bring a small pool for our 17 month old granddaughter. The room

steward was very happy to get the pool blown up for us and was

highly rewarded.

The pool had a "flat" back to it and it fit perfectly into a small indent

outside the pool area. Everyone was able to walk by with no problems

and a few other toddlers joined in her in the pool. We filled the pool

with the rinse shower water and emptied it each afternoon to take back

to the room. Not many children on last weeks cruise but noticed the

ones aboard all having a good time. However we did see one couple

bring their toddler into the hot tub. Security asked them to leave.

I should mention we used the aft pool. It had far less people than

the lido pool.

All I ever remember seeing is that it is a big no no to bring the inflatable kiddie pools. The argument is there is only limited deck space, anyway, so where are you going to put it? Is it fair to ask others to step around the pool? What if every parent with a toddler brought an inflatable pool, where would they all go? etc...
I agree that these are fair questions. Space is limited onboard, and it has to be shared. Unless you're planning to put it on your own balcony, bringing a blow-up pool is something akin to being a chair hog.

If you want to cruise with a child who's too young to be allowed in the pools, I'd suggest planning beach days while in port (those are more practical than dolphin swims or island tours with small kids anyway); the kids can have a blast running on the sand and playing in the ocean with no restrictions whatsoever. Plan to spend your at-sea days enjoying other activities with the kiddos.

As I indicated in a previous post, we would put the pool on one of our balconies - 130 & 240 sq ft. We do intend to maximize beach and ocean time when in ports. It is just on sea days when it would be an issue. There are some great suggestions in addition to the pool which we really appreciate. I dislike chair hogs as much as anyone else and would never want to be put in this category.

• 2 weeks later...
As I indicated in a previous post, we would put the pool on one of our balconies - 130 & 240 sq ft. We do intend to maximize beach and ocean time when in ports. It is just on sea days when it would be an issue. There are some great suggestions in addition to the pool which we really appreciate. I dislike chair hogs as much as anyone else and would never want to be put in this category.
Call the line, get the facts. Your line might absolutely deny them, or supply them. And if they allow them, they will be able to tell you where they are allowed. Metrowon

Sorry to be unpleasant...

but the fact is that the reason kids in diapers are not allowed in onboard pools by US health regulations, is the possibility of feces contamination - viruses can spread too fast before the problem is noticed, and they have to close the whole pool to clean it. A few ships have "toddler splash pools" - and I assume that the rationale is that if these are soiled, only the kids are inconvenienced while its closed for cleaning - not the whole ship's passengers. Plus its a much smaller area to clean and disinfect.

Just curious - if your child has "an accident" in the blow up pool, whether it be on your balcony or on the pool deck, where do you empty the contaminated water? How do you disinfect the blow up pool?

I too have small kids, and we are madly working with DS to get him fully trained - only a month to go!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry to be unpleasant...

but the fact is that the reason kids in diapers are not allowed in onboard pools by US health regulations, is the possibility of feces contamination - viruses can spread too fast before the problem is noticed, and they have to close the whole pool to clean it. A few ships have "toddler splash pools" - and I assume that the rationale is that if these are soiled, only the kids are inconvenienced while its closed for cleaning - not the whole ship's passengers. Plus its a much smaller area to clean and disinfect.

Just curious - if your child has "an accident" in the blow up pool, whether it be on your balcony or on the pool deck, where do you empty the contaminated water? How do you disinfect the blow up pool?

I too have small kids, and we are madly working with DS to get him fully trained - only a month to go!!! :rolleyes:

From reading these boards, I think most people have said that the pools are emptied down the drains at the pool. I've never personally taken a blow up pool, but from the numerous posters who have, they've never had any problems with them.

And I'm like you, I have 12 months exactly to pt my almost 2 year old for the next cruise. We aren't sure if there are toddler pools of the RCCL Freedom of the Seas (new ship, no word yet about it)

Hoping we can pt in time. :(

We brought one on Navigator last year with our then 15MO daughter. We just used it on our balcony and it worked perfectly. It was a tiny one though...in the shape of a duck. I think it was actually a blow up bathtub, not a pool.

We brought one on Navigator last year with our then 15MO daughter. We just used it on our balcony and it worked perfectly. It was a tiny one though...in the shape of a duck. I think it was actually a blow up bathtub' date=' not a pool.[/quote']

We have one of those! And yes, it's a tub...lol. :D

My daughter loves that thing.

Thank you for your positive responses. I am the great-aunt of a 1yr old going on the Navigator in August and we're planning for a great time. I will bring a small pool, the duck sounds fun, empty it in the balcony drain and let her enjoy. I think swim diapers have also made taking a baby into water more enjoyable for everyone. I can't imagine that there is anyone who doesn't know why diapers are not allowed in the pools, even knowing that there are plenty of adults that do not use the restrooms.

We just got off of the Explorer last weekend, and I was walking around trying to picture blow up pools on the deck. The ship was full, and there wouldn't have been much room for one. They had a great kiddie pool in the back, it was only a foot deep and it had a cute little slide in it. They also had a large hot tub size pool with jets, but I think it was a little deeper. This whole area was shaded. Around the main pools there is a large ledge that is only inches deep and goes into the main part of the pool. This is sufficient for the tiny ones, as long as you are right there of course.