Special diet (plant based - salt, oil and sugar free) on NCL

Hunterw0026

Excellent information! :D Who do you asked? Call prior to the cruise?

No....no need to call.

In the buffet I ask any worker (the guys who clean the table) for it. If someone don't know about it...I tell him to ask someone else. They keep it towards the center, where they have the cheeses.

If you eat in the dining room you could ask the maitre d' about it. I never eat there so I don't know how it works but I'm sure it can be done.

No....no need to call.

In the buffet I ask any worker (the guys who clean the table) for it. If someone don't know about it...I tell him to ask someone else. They keep it towards the center, where they have the cheeses.

If you eat in the dining room you could ask the maitre d' about it. I never eat there so I don't know how it works but I'm sure it can be done.

Thank you very very much!! :halo:

Please e-mail the access desk again and ask for a "guest special request" information form. Fill it out and send it in. The totally amazing restaurant managers and maitres d' will have this information when you check in using your key card, so make sure it's always your card. You can also check in with the maitre d' during your embarkation lunch, and they will help you order for the next day, in any of the restaurants. I had a wonderful (tear-jerking) experience with the staff aboard the Sky, who informed me (after I complimented their wonderful care of me and my anti-inflammatory diet) that they had nowhere near the facilities that the larger ships do...apparently, there is a special chef, staff, and kitchen for allergy sufferers, kosher-diet followers, etc. so that there is no chance of cross-contamination. So please, do not give up.

This was SO HELPFUL and I thank you so so much!!!! [emoji813]eyes:

I travel with my Mom who has a severe salt allergy and NCL does a great job. As others said you list that you need a no salt/no sugar diet on your reservation. The first day is tricky so you’ll be limited (salad is the best option) but you can pre-order your meal for the next day. My mom would even mix or match protein and veg from other dishes and have an a la Cart menu. You can always get steamed or grilled marinated fish, chicken, meat, with a baked potato or plain pasta- just order everything dry so they don’t use butter or oil- need to be explicit. Lunch is tough on port days as the dinning room is closed but we pre-ordered with Maitre d and they served my Mom her special plate in the buffet. Most of the specialty restaurants will accommodate except for the pub- that is all pre-made heat and serve. My mom will also bring with her salt free snacks so it is important to be prepared.

One cruise when they messed up the order the Executive Chef made my moms meal and then he made her meals directly for the rest of the cruise. As long as you know what you can and cannot eat you can still cruise. My mom lives with congestive heart failure and any salt will jeopardize her health. We were on the NCL sun to Cuba in June and have the Bliss booked for Nov with no problems. You will need to avoid the Buffett except for the salad bar and any made-to-order stations as there are too many sauces and all are heavily salted.

Otherwise, you can still enjoy cruising...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much! My issue is, it's can't be off at all. I can not have sugar, oil or salt in the food. Is there a way to ensure this apart from not cruising?

Again, I thank you.

all I can say is they will do all that is possible to offer specialty diets to anyone, but I am not sure how far they can go. I know people are very restricted diets have been satisfied from what I have heard or read. It does seem that yours is even more restricted than almost any I have heard of. For certain you will need to talk to the restaurant manager as soon as possible when boarding the ship. And it will help if you have a medical letter from your doctor about your condition. You will most likely have to order all your meals in advance of the time you will be eating. So much of the food is prepared somewhat in advance of the meal time.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Congrats on your success with WFPB eating! I have been doing it for 3 years but I will stray on vacation. I use Furhman's "rare and appropriate" during these times. Breakfast is easy..oatmeal and fruits. Lunch is a salad. I will add cooked veggies and I'm sure some have had oil but I use no dressings at all. Dinner is most challenging but we have found the buffet is a great option. The vegetarian options are usually have cheese or cream in them. Our first cruise after switching this way I worried it would upset our stomach to have some of these foods but we did fine. Also, it was very easy to go back to cooking the oil, salt, sugar free way at home.