From Fira at 11:30 to Oia and back in time for 6:00 departure

leahrotella

Hi all,

We've booked a morning-only excursion with Celebrity which will drop us back off in Fira around 11:30 am. We'd like to make it to Oia on our own and then back to Fira in time to take the cable car down and the tender to the ship for a 6:00 departure. Around what time should we be heading back to Fira from Oia to ensure we've got enough time to make it to the ship?

What are the best options to get to Oia from Fira? I've seen mention of buses... taxes... ATVs... but it's all so overwhelming! Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Depending how many more ships are in port and what time they leave, knowing the often very long lines at the funiculair I would even suggest to try and be in Fyra around 3. Since Fyra is a tenderport most of the times the be back on board time is 1 hour prior to departure.

Thank you both for your response! We'll shoot to be back in Fira by 3 and will gauge how the lines look. We could always wander there a bit if there's no rush getting down.

We definitely want something both cost and time effective. Are the taxis from Fira to Oia reasonably priced? Easy to find?

Thank you both for your response! We'll shoot to be back in Fira by 3 and will gauge how the lines look. We could always wander there a bit if there's no rush getting down.

We definitely want something both cost and time effective. Are the taxis from Fira to Oia reasonably priced? Easy to find?

As frequently discussed here, the taxi stand and the bus stop in Oia are directly across the street from each other. A few years ago the taxi was 20 euros. The bus, I believe, was about 2 or 3 euros per person. We took a taxi because when we arrived at the stop, the bus was still 15 or 20 minutes away, and the taxi was sitting there available.

As frequently discussed here, the taxi stand and the bus stop in Oia are directly across the street from each other. A few years ago the taxi was 20 euros. The bus, I believe, was about 2 or 3 euros per person. We took a taxi because when we arrived at the stop, the bus was still 15 or 20 minutes away, and the taxi was sitting there available.

Thank you for sharing. The boards are a bit overwhelming for a newbie, so I appreciate you responding again. We get married in a few days then it's off on the honeymoon! Can't wait to finally visit Santorini.

I would highly recommend the ATV option, we did this a few years ago, & it was wonderful to be able to explore on our own, when we were done with Oia, we headed to a winery for a tour & tasting, & then visited the black sand beach. We didn't have a reservation, we just walked through the main street of Fira & stopped at the first ATV place we saw. :)

Enjoy!