Plans on Mykonos - Time for Both Delos and a Beach?

Peter Cabot

We’ll be on Mykonos with Celebrity Reflection in a couple weeks. Being history buffs, we have booked a guided excursion to Delos. The trip is supposed to be 8 - 11:30, starting and ending in the same place as we tender from the ship.

Does that time frame also allow us enough time to go to a beach before we have to be back on board? We’re not real beachy people, but the idea of being in the Aegean and not spending at least a little time by the ocean seems like it would be a missed opportunity.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should be okay if you keep an eye on the time. I'm not a beach person but I believe there's a beach not too far away; probably best to get a taxi rather than take the bus if you're on limited time.

Good call on doing Delos; it's a fantastic place if you are into history. And hopefully won't be too hot when you're there.

May I ask which Delos tour did you book? Earliest English speaking tour I found was at 10 am

Hi! Sorry for the delay in answering — we booked the ship’s excursion to Delos, since it was earlier than anything we found on our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Mykonos on Apr. 11 from 8am to 6pm. Will we be able to pick up a tour to Delos at the pier or do we need to pre-book? Would we still have time to do a DIY tour of Mykonos and maybe visit a nearby beach? I'm guessing it will be to cold to swim in April?

Thanks,

Tony

39 minutes ago, disneykins said:

We are in Mykonos on Apr. 11 from 8am to 6pm. Will we be able to pick up a tour to Delos at the pier or do we need to pre-book? Would we still have time to do a DIY tour of Mykonos and maybe visit a nearby beach? I'm guessing it will be to cold to swim in April?

Thanks,

Tony

Yes to the tour at the pier.

Yes to DIY tour of Mykonos.

Yes to too cold to swim. (But you are Canadian, so your cold may not be my cold...):classic_biggrin:

LOL Marazul.  We are used to NE USA beaches so can handle some chilly seas.  But early April in the Greek Islands would be too cold for my blood.  To put it in a more detailed perspective the water temp at that time of the year will likely be in the low 60s F or about 16C!    

As to the ship tour,  many ships will make a short stop (before proceeding to their pier or anchorage in Mykonos) to tender off those who are on the Delos tour.  After you finish your tour at Delos you will be tendered (they use local boats..not real tenders) directly over to Mykonos.  Many tours will drop you in Mykonos Town although I have seen some tours stop at the town pier for those that want to stay in town and then head over to the port for those who want to go back to the ship.   If you do have the option to get off in town you can then head straight to a beach via local bus or a taxi.   The island has plenty of beaches although we normally head over to Paradise.    If spending a full day at the beach we might move over to Super Paradise....if Paradise is too crowded.

Hank