Itinerary changes Journey, January 15-24th

Bimmer09

During the CC upgrade I got an E Mail from Azamara detailing changes to our itinerary on our 9 day Cuba cruise.

Journey leaves Havana on the 17th January at 5 pm as opposed to 11pm (or 6pm "as originally scheduled"). Some confusion there as when we booked it was an 11pm sailaway.

Cienfuegos arrival is as scheduled at 8 am but leaving 7.30 pm as opposed to 10pm.

The reason for these changes is so that we can arrive in Santiago de Cuba at 5pm on the 20th as opposed to 8 am on the 21st.

An Azamazing evening is planned the night we arrive in Santiago de Cuba. An extra overnight! Hooray!  Maybe Bonnie knows what the Azamazing evening will be?

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
change color/sizing of text

On 10/16/2018 at 4:22 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

On Journey Feb 20th cruise it's in Santiago de Cuba on the day we arrive at 5pm. 

AzAmazing Evening: Cuban Rhythms at Heredia Theater
07:30 PM  

Suzy, I may have a review with pics and video to whet your appetite by then-if I go on this Azamazing evening. Stay tuned.

Norris

On 10/16/2018 at 6:18 PM, Lookyboy said:

Been to this Azamazing Evening in March / April this year whilst on Quest. A good one!

Lookyboy, thanks for the response but I'd love to know what you heard and saw. Big band with lots of percussion, piano and horn section? Singers? Dancers? 

I ask because we were set on going to a club called Casa de la Trova to hear whatever band was playing there but would enjoy killing two birds-good music and our first Azamazing evening.

Norris

22 hours ago, wyojeff said:

We had that show for our Azamazing evening back in April. There were 4 or 5 different groups singing and dancing. A nice sampling of Cuban music.

Thanks wyojeff, this gives me a better idea of what to expect.

So there were no restrictions on cameras? Do you recall if video was allowed?

I know on the X ships they encourage you to take photos and videos and post on Youtube but of course this isn't a cruise line controlled venue.

I mean to take photos and video wherever I end up listening to music on our night in

Santiago de Cuba-unless there are signs prohibiting it.

Cheers!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
Remove duplicate photos

There was a good mix of Cuban singing, dancing and music makin, involving different generations and no restrictions on cameras. We were sitting rather too close to the stage to get good photos and videos, but felt right in the middle of it all....especially for the finale ......which was spectacular. 

Thanks, Lookyboy, for the good news on photos and video at this venue. Was it open seating or were you led to a seat by an Azamara/Heredia employee, hence being too close to see the whole stage ? It's fine in an opera house (but cameras not allowed) to sit close as the stages are tilted towards the audience and the orchestra pit pushes the seats back another 20 feet or so but in a concert I'd hate to get photos of musicians from the waist up or lose the players further back.

Cheers!

Norris

On 10/25/2018 at 6:14 AM, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks, Lookyboy, for the good news on photos and video at this venue. Was it open seating or were you led to a seat by an Azamara/Heredia employee, hence being too close to see the whole stage ? It's fine in an opera house (but cameras not allowed) to sit close as the stages are tilted towards the audience and the orchestra pit pushes the seats back another 20 feet or so but in a concert I'd hate to get photos of musicians from the waist up or lose the players further back.

Cheers!

Norris

The Heredia theater is fairly big. You can sit wherever you want, unless there is a row or two reserved for VIPs. 

When I sailed to Cuba last March I was in one of the first buses, so we entered the theater first. They directed us towards the first couple rows, but it wasn't obligatory nor were they specifically reserved. As others entered they joined us in the first couple rows. Otherwise there were plenty of rows, and seats for everyone. I don't believe there was a bad seat in the house. 

We were in the first bus to arrive and directed to the front row, but we didn't have to sit there, as others chose their own seat and this was very acceptable. We chose to remain in the front row, as it was most accessible for our friends, one of whom uses a wheel chair. It was a terrific evening.

6 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

The Heredia theater is fairly big. You can sit wherever you want, unless there is a row or two reserved for VIPs. 

When I sailed to Cuba last March I was in one of the first buses, so we entered the theater first. They directed us towards the first couple rows, but it wasn't obligatory nor were they specifically reserved. As others entered they joined us in the first couple rows. Otherwise there were plenty of rows, and seats for everyone. I don't believe there was a bad seat in the house. 

Bonnie, thanks for the response. 
I've looked at videos on Youtube of the Heredia and have a good idea of its size (big) and will plan to sit a few rows back, or in the balcony, for photos and video. Then I'll put them in my review for posterity.

I still haven't shown the pics nor these posts to my TC (Traveling Companion) known as Deck Chair Queen on the boards and a title well-deserved. She is gung-ho for the Casa de la Trova club but is somewhat in the dark about Azamazing Evenings and will be enlightened soon.

Norris