Free WiFI with Royal App?

Screenshot_20181104-091316.thumb.png.8f96c079a8821682d8b372d7681a36cd.pngScreenshot_20181104-091316.thumb.png.8f96c079a8821682d8b372d7681a36cd.pngOn a whim I decided to download Royal's app to check it out before my cruise next month. I saw the tips section under Day 1 that Wifi is free on-board with the app.

Is this the case for the entire cruise, or just the first day? Does anyone have experience using the app for the free Wifi?  Would really love to cancel the internet package we bought if we can. 

Thank you!

Edited by karkee8807
Attached Screenshot

15 minutes ago, karkee8807 said:

On a whim I decided to download Royal's app to check it out before my cruise next month. I saw the tips section under Day 1 that Wifi is free on-board with the app.

Is this the case for the entire cruise, or just the first day? Does anyone have experience using the app for the free Wifi?  Would really love to cancel the internet package we bought if we can. 

Thank you!

You are confusing Wifi with Internet access.

You can connect for free to the ships Wifi, where there is no Internet package needed for. If you want to connect to the Internet you need to purchase an Internet Package. Internet access is not free at any time.

With the app, you are piggy backing on the ship's internal system to talk wirelessly between two phones that have the app, and to access the digital version of the menu that shows up on your TV. We tried it out on our last cruise, and it is quite useless for anything else.

Just now, orville99 said:

With the app, you are piggy backing on the ship's internal system to talk wirelessly between two phones that have the app, and to access the digital version of the menu that shows up on your TV. We tried it out on our last cruise, and it is quite useless for anything else.

Thank you for explaining how this works to me. 

WiFi is always free, as others have noted its the internet access that you pay for. In addition to the app, there are a number of websites you can connect to without paying for the internet. You can connect to Royal’s website for free. Anytime I plan to book a cruise onboard, I always pre-price out the cruise before going to the Next Cruise folks.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

With the app, you are piggy backing on the ship's internal system to talk wirelessly between two phones that have the app, and to access the digital version of the menu that shows up on your TV. 

That is still in beta and only works on Allure.

3 hours ago, LisaT91403 said:

So if you have an iPhone and are connected to the ship's WiFi, can you then use iMessage (with other iPhone users) without paying for Voom? Or use What's App, for that matter?

Only on ships that still use the Royal IQ app, until they fix the hole in their  firewall.

The app works on several ships including  Enchantment which we are just on. We used it on our 4 day cruise in October and found it useful. It basically was like having the Cruise Compass on your phone. It shows the daily dining options including menus. It also shows all activities, entertainment and excursions. Each day is displayed and lots of info is available. The app does not have any sort of messaging option that we could find.  It seems that the  app simply accesses the info from the RC server so you do not need to be on the ship to check it out. I just started it up now and am looking at what Enchantment is doing today. It's like being back on the ship. You can also switch ships and sail dates to see what is happening on the other ships. This will make it easy for people to check out what the menus are for specific cruise days and other details that often get asked on CC.

Edited by Jcol5786
spelling
  • Like 1