What to do in Lima Peru?

BBMacLaird

Hi Bonnie;

Lima is considered the gastronomical capital of South America. Some Peruvian restaurants are among the 10 best of the world and are considered the best in South America. Those restaurants are under the “fusion” category. For example Maido and Central. You can look at their web page and see if that appeals to you. You have to make reservations at least 6 weeks in advance.

In addition to the fusion cuisine, the traditional Peruvian food is also very good. You could try it at the restaurant called “Tanta” which belongs to a famous Peruvian chef and his wife internationally acclaimed (Gaston Acurio and his wife Astrid). Try tipical Peruvian dishes like causa rellena, ají de gallina or lomo saltado. They have a restaurant at the famous Larco Mar in Miraflores neighborhood, which by the way is the best neighborhood for tourists and also where the fusion restaurants are located.

Do not forget to try the Pisco Sour. Is fantastic but be careful because more than two will make you drunk.

Besides the culinary experience I woul strongly recommend that you spend a day with lunch at a Hacienda where you can see a show of Peruvian horses. They are unique and are called caballos de paso. One Hacienda in which I have been twice is called Hacienda Los Ficus. Very good and you can book directly. Have a look at their web page.

If you have any question, I could try to help. I was in Lima in September to try their gastronomy.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

I did the Gold Museum and the lardo Museum in one day. not enough time in the Gold one. Lardo has a resturant -that was charming but no time to eat there. traffic-takes an hour to go anywhere at all times of day.

Restaurants are great. I did not get to the top ones in Lima but went to Chic Chic in Cusco owned by the same couple. it was great.

churches are wonderwful but close mid day so plan that well too.

I would certainly recommend going to the Miraflores District, particularly the part on the coast.  There are plenty of good restaurants around, as well as shopping for those who like that, especially in the Larcomar. Watching the hang gliders - or having a go - is good fun.  There are also parks especially on El Malecon.

Also in the Miraflores area is Huaca Pucllana - an adobe and clay site dating to 200AD - 700AD.  Because of the very dry climate it has survived very well.  It is fascinating, but get a guide to appreciate it fully.

Otherwise in Lima, the Larco Museum and Church of San Francisco.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 11:06 AM, BBMacLaird said:

I'm wondering what those of you who've been to Lima would recommend doing with 3-days there?

Some restaurant recommendations would be appreciated!

Here's a blog post we've published on the Best Things to Do in Peru

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/best-things-do-peru

We are going on a small private tour of Lima

https:/Patagoniashorex.com/colonial

if interested email me at pw0038@gmail.com 

I always  did a foodie tour that Heike and Eric did> i just wish it was longer as I was taking pictures everywhere. 

I was in the  lardo-see above. i stayed at the Belmont so saw  the hang gliders and the mall daily.  But I would add the Gold museum.  Yes, see the churches as tours seems to take you outside not inside them.

If you need a recommendation for a private guide in Lima, I suggest you read the TripAdvisor reviews for PERUVIAN LOCAL FRIEND.  We were met at the port and spent a fabulous 10 hour day exploring Lima from one end to the other. We walked in some places and drove in others. We wanted to see some things that were off the beaten track and it was no problem at all.  Our guide Cindy was amazing, telling us about her city and country candidly and thoroughly.  Her English is excellent.  At the end of the day, they drove us to the airport in gridlock traffic. But they had allowed plenty of time to get us there.  

This is one of the best private tours we have ever done.  

Just returned from Lima after a couple of days in the city after our cruise.  We did a half day trip to Pachacamac a pre Inca historical site which the Inca's also used.  Very interesting and a climb up to the Sun Temple gave wonderful views of the coastline.  On the way there we had a tour of various areas of Lima.

I also enjoyed the Old Town and the Fountain displays in the evening.