Vow Renewal Eurodam

Chrisfromco

Hi everyone! 

I was able to purchase a vow renewal package through our online account on HAL. This will be for the December 9th Mexico sailing. Does anyone know if I should contact HAL to arrange any other details, or is it just a set time that the ship determines? The package states that it includes dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and a photo with the Captain. It was surprisingly inexpensive. Anything else I should be aware of? It's just the two of us celebrating. Thanks in advance for your help! 

My data is from a few years ago so hopefully someone with more current experience will post.

We booked a vow renewal ceremony for my parents.  The invitations with the date, place, and time of the ceremony were delivered to our staterooms.  It was a sea day on a non-formal night.  We shared the room with others who had also booked the renewal.  The Captain performed the ceremonies separately with each party and the photographer took pictures.  There was champagne and hors d’oeuvres brought round by servers.  It was really quite touching although it sounds a bit of a mish-mash.

We had booked the Pinnacle Grill, in advance, for after the ceremony but they had no record of it.  (Even though we had received the confirmations in our staterooms.) So my advice would be to pay a visit to the Grill to ensure they have your reservation.  Tell the PG Manager about your special occasion so you get a preferred table if they have one available.

Have a wonderful time!

Edited by *Miss G*

IMO, this is one of the better (and nicer) deals that HAL offers and I recommend it.

How it is handled varies by ship, but basically you will be notified once onboard about the date and time of the ceremony.  Normally they hold it on a "Gala" night, as most people dress up anyway.  There could be only the two of you, or several other couples doing it at the same time (each will do the vows with the Captain separately).  

In our case, it was just the two of us, the Captain and his wife, and the social director (who organizes these events).  The 5 of us visited over some sparkling wine and apps prior to the ceremony and for about 30 minutes afterwards.  All in all, it was a great event, one that we will treasure, and well worth the cost. 

Yes, you do get a nice photo of the ceremony (as I recall we got to select from several photos) and a dinner at the Pinnacle (day of our chosing).

Go for it!

My husband and I just did this in September on the Amsterdam.  However, ours was NOT on Gala night.  What was funny was you should have seen the looks we got from people because they thought we had dressed up on the wrong night, lol.  The whole experience was way more than we anticipated.  They partitioned off part of the Crows Nest, had a lovely table done up with flowers and a wedding cake.  The entertainment director and Captain met us for Horderves and some bubbly.  They had a photographer who took LOTS of photos.  When we went to see our souvenir photo we had lots to choose from and then it was given to us in a lovely album, also with the vows that our captain wrote.

So it a fabulous thing that they do.  Congratulation.

• 3 months later...

For us it was the Captain. We were very fortunate in that, we were the only ones doing the vow renewal on this cruise. It was a great experience and well worth the price. First class all the way. The Cruise Director coordinated everything and the Captain was very gracious with his time!

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.  I noticed the description doesn't specify the Captain performs the ceremony and on other ships it's not necessarily. it could be an unspecified officer.  It would definitely be preferable to have the Captain, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  

We have done the RoV twice (I know, a glutton for punishment!).  Both were on Formal/Gala night and both done by the Captain.  Captain van Eerten (the toot meister) and Captain Chris Turner (recently retired).  Both were wonderful events that burn bright in the memory.

We would recommend the RoV to anyone as a very memorable event.

p.s. the original reason for this post was to say that both Captains stated that the  Captain picks the time and date to fit in with his schedule.