Jade dining questions

holdon216

Sailing The Jade  April 2019. Are there any nights in the main dining room that are more formal then the other nights? We have 4 specialty restaurants with our package. I want to make sure i don't book one for a night when the main dining rooms might have, say lobster. If so what nights would they be on an 11 day? Also are there any restaurants on The Jade where pants for men are required?

Thanks

As for a more formal night, they don't really exist on NCL. There is no formal night as such. The closest thing is "Norwegian Night Out", where some people apparently dress up a bit more, although I have to say that I wouldn't even know which night it was if it wasn't for the flyer that is stuck in the freestyle daily.

Plan your meals around what works best for your schedule. Freestyle means that you can build your holiday around what you are doing rather than having the cruise line tell you when to do things.

As stated elsewhere, you aren't going to find Lobster in the MDRs on any day (or the other restaurants for that matter other than things like the Lobster Rolls)

16 hours ago, holdon216 said:

Sailing The Jade  April 2019. Are there any nights in the main dining room that are more formal then the other nights? We have 4 specialty restaurants with our package. I want to make sure i don't book one for a night when the main dining rooms might have, say lobster. If so what nights would they be on an 11 day? Also are there any restaurants on The Jade where pants for men are required?

Thanks

NCL embraces the "dress up or not" philosophy. Most people dress up a little for dinner. 

NCL uses a 14 menus for the main dining room that the executive chef on the ship selects from. There is no way of telling what will be offered on any given night. As stated above, there is no "lobster night" on NCL.

On the Jade, the Grand Pacific Main Dining Room and Le Bistro require long pants for men. Shorts are "allowed" in all other restaurants for all meals.  That being said, you see more long pants at dinner than shorts. Dress how you feel comfortable, no one will care

Thank you all!!! Your info helps with the packing. And good to know that the Pacific dining room wants the men in pants. We have only sailed NCL once before, i think..... so i forget the rules etc. Carnival would always have two "Elegant" nights where men would have to wear pants. Luckily my husband is easy going and will wear whatever i pack for him.😉

What time do the main dining rooms open for dinner? We usually eat say 6:00pm. Any need to pre arrange reservations at that time? And if so how is that done? Once onboard? :classic_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

You can make your reservations on line in the cruise planner.  They only take a certain amount of pre reservations though.  You may find specific days and times are not available.  You can also call NCL directly and they can help you with them.

We have booked our reservations for 8 of 10 nights for our upcoming Jade sailing in April.   Chose not to reserve the first night since we are not sure what time we will board with a 10:30 pm departure and 12pm boarding.  The other open night is the overnight in Bermuda.  

I've only said NCL once before on the Epic, but it seems most of her ships are the same regarding 'rules'. There are 2 main dining rooms - one requires men to be in pants for dinner, the other does not. Both serve identical food each night, so the only difference between them is whether you feel like putting on pants or not. We were disappointed to find that out after comparing the menus and finding them identical every night. Also odd that it's only men required to wear pants. Hubby had to run back to the room to put on pants, but there was a 20 something year old girl at the table across from us in shorts so short they may as well have been her underpants. So that was allowed, but hubby in long cargo shorts was not, go figure.

'Dress up night' was also odd. There were some family in full blown ball gowns and tuxes taking photos with the captain, and in line right behind them were families in casual vacation wear with Hawaiian shirts and shorts. It truly is up to you how to you want to dress. We're very low key and casual, with my 'fancy' night being a long breezy skirt and tank top. Other people would get dolled up with a little black dress and stilettos for dinner. Completely up to you as there are really no rules - outside of pants for men.