United 777ER Configuration Change

theZsatsea

On 2/8/19, we are flying from SFO to AKL on UA917 and returning on 3/16/19, UA916.  Both flights are on a United 777-300ER.  Today, I noticed that United had changed the configuration, dropping row 22 and, for rows 19 through 21, eliminating seats B and K.   Now there is a space between seats A & C and J & L.  Lastly, after row 21, there is a single lavatory rather than two smaller ones.  All other rows, aft, are in a 3-4-3 configuration accept the last two full rows on the aircraft.  United's general seat plan for that aircraft type as well as Seat Guru's does not show these changes.  United has changed our seat assignments without notice and we are in a quandary as to what to do as we find ourselves jammed up against the lavatory with few other selections available.

Does anyone have any idea what the space between A & C and J & L is or if it really exists?  Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 hour ago, theZsatsea said:

On 2/8/19, we are flying from SFO to AKL on UA917 and returning on 3/16/19, UA916.  Both flights are on a United 777-300ER.  Today, I noticed that United had changed the configuration, dropping row 22 and, for rows 19 through 21, eliminating seats B and K.   Now there is a space between seats A & C and J & L.  Lastly, after row 21, there is a single lavatory rather than two smaller ones.  All other rows, aft, are in a 3-4-3 configuration accept the last two full rows on the aircraft. ...

Does anyone have any idea what the space between A & C and J & L is or if it really exists?

I am not a United expert, and I don't know any of the detail of what is going on. But I believe that United is introducing premium economy, and a quick search suggests that this is configured 2-4-2 on a 777.

I have looked at the seat map for your flight, which matches what you have described seeing. The elimination of row 22, and the change from 3-4-3 to 2-4-2 in rows 19-21, strongly suggest to me that these three rows are planned to be premium economy seats (albeit sold as economy).

You don't say where you are sitting, but if you are in one of these three rows, my advice would consequently be to stay put. You should try to confirm from other sources (the relevant part of FlyerTalk would probably be a reasonably authoritative place) that what you are seeing matches my guess as to what's happening.

There will be no gap between A and C, or between J and L. The lettering is used by United to denote what kind of seat it is: A is a window, and C is a window-side aisle. In a 3-4-3, there is a B middle seat between them, but because there is no middle seat in a 2-4-2 configuration, United designates the window and the adjacent aisle seats as A and C.

3 hours ago, theZsatsea said:

...United has changed our seat assignments without notice and we are in a quandary as to what to do as we find ourselves jammed up against the lavatory with few other selections available.

Does anyone have any idea what the space between A & C and J & L is or if it really exists?  Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I agree with Globaliser. The aircraft you are on has been switched to one that has a Premium Economy (not to be confused with Economy Plus). 

I do not understand your quandry. Perhaps you could provide a little more information. The seat map is wide open right now, in both regular economy and Economy Plus. Why don’t you change your seats to ones you prefer? Perhaps I am missing something.

I agree that it sounds like  a pending addition of premium economy.  Are you currently booked in one of the rows that now has a different configuration?  i.e. Did you book economy and select a row that appears that it will be premium economy?  If so, it's likely that you will be reassigned to a regular economy row.  Perhaps call United and ask; you may want to voluntarily change your seat assignment now, while you still have some selection available, rather than wait for their computer system to assign you to who knows what seats.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Did you book economy and select a row that appears that it will be premium economy?  If so, it's likely that you will be reassigned to a regular economy row.  Perhaps call United and ask; you may want to voluntarily change your seat assignment now, while you still have some selection available, rather than wait for their computer system to assign you to who knows what seats.

Isn't the key question whether it's likely that United will start selling premium economy on this route on the OP's travel dates?

If it will, then I agree that the OP may get unceremoniously reallocated into economy - subject to the wrinkle below.

However, United is not yet selling premium economy. Instead, it seems that aircraft with premium economy seats are having those seats allocated to those who have paid for, or otherwise qualify for, Economy Plus. If that remains the situation for the OP's travel dates, then I would have thought that they would be well advised to keep the seats that they have (assuming that they are currently in one of rows 19-21). This is because they must already have paid for, or otherwise qualify for, Economy Plus as it looks like the old configuration has Economy Plus in rows 19-27 (and some of 28 and 29).

The wrinkle about being reallocated into economy is that if the OP has already paid for, or otherwise qualifies for, Economy Plus, then I would have thought it likely that they would be reallocated into other Economy Plus seats rather than plain economy. FWIW, are the current seat maps for the Economy Plus section:-

243gr5s.jpg afilia.jpg

Thanks to everyone who responded.  We have had United change the seats that they had reassigned us on both flights.  In one instance we now have J & L seats in what may become a premium economy row.  In the other, we are now in D & E seats in economy plus rather than E & F.  I will now monitor our seat assignments every day until we leave.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving