Excursions: Central America (what do I bring?)

anectar

I am worried about what type of bag to bring to ports and how to keep it safe when snorkeling. I have waterproof phone pouches but what about towels, clothes, sunglasses & souvenirs. Should I use dry bags, backpacks or a small carry on type? I've read a little about a dry bag that you swim with but that sounds like it would be annoying. Visiting Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya & Cozumel. 

Suggestions appreciated!

No one will bother your towels, clothes or cheap sunglasses.  Do not bring electronics or pricey stuff to a water day!  Your credit cards/ship card and even cash CAN get wet.

If you are on a boat snorkel excursion, simply leave your things on the boat.  If you're on your own, snorkeling from the beach, do look into something small you can put your money/cards in...the rest will be fine on the beach.

We always speak to those around us on the beach...we "watch out" for their stuff...and they do likewise!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, anectar said:

I am worried about what type of bag to bring to ports and how to keep it safe when snorkeling. I have waterproof phone pouches but what about towels, clothes, sunglasses & souvenirs. Should I use dry bags, backpacks or a small carry on type? I've read a little about a dry bag that you swim with but that sounds like it would be annoying. Visiting Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya & Cozumel. 

Suggestions appreciated!

We’ve bought a pac-safe backpack. It has the ability to lock to a tree/fence/fixed object. 

Hubby carries insulin and glucagon on him at all times and having it stolen would be pretty dreadful. 

• Thanks 1

First don't buy souvenirs until you are on your way bag to the ship. The other stuff is not an issue. No one wants your clothes or towels. For valuables like cash and cards, keep them in a small pouch with you. For phones and cameras, usually you can find someone from the ship to watch your stuff while you are in the water. If you are on a boat, then your stuff is fine it isn't going anywhere.

I have sailed that route at least 8 times, and have never been concerned about the safety of my stuff on any of those cruises.

• Thanks 1