Dog Sledding

DCLCrazy

Hi,  I posted this on the Alaska port page, but thought I might have some more luck speaking specifically to Princess Cruisers.  There are two different excursions that are about the same and I wanted to get your opinion on which one was better.  The first one is Skagway dog sledding & glacier flightseeing (SGY-840) and the other is Juneau dog sledding on the Mendenhall glacier. (JUN-845).  Are either of these a better glacier experience?  We have a couple of people in their late 60s/early 70s going, so that might be a factor, as well.  Is there a better time of the day to do it?  Thanks for all of your feedback!

When are you going to be there?  Assuming it's during the Spring-late Summer months, there could be a major difference in the sledding experience.  The Mendenhall Glacier dogsled ride is likely more authentic (meaning on skids) because it's ice.  Dogsled experiences that time of year are on sleds with wheels attached, so you get to feel some of the power of the dog teams, but not quite the same feeling as snow and/or ice.  Nothing quite like watching the sleds pull out of Big Lake when the start the Iditarod each year.  Hope you have a great time either way!! 

I have not done the dog sled at Mendenhall but the one in Skagway.  We enjoyed the trip very much.  The helicopter flight may get cancelled due to weather so you might want a plan B.  You will get your money back it the helicopter can't fly.  As far  as the 60-70 year olds going it will be no problem.  We had a gentleman who was elderly I would guess in his 80's on our tour he chose not to mush the dogs just sit in the sled and enjoy the ride.

We did a sledding trip with Celebrity and were advised to take the one that gave you a longer helicopter flight and also took you to a higher glacier. I know Medenhall was an option but we choose the alternative. Trying to remember the name - will post back when I find out but it may not be pertinent to Princess options

possibly norris glacier. 

I will say that the experience was worth every penny although it was expensive. I would do it again 👍

Edited by downsmead

50 minutes ago, downsmead said:

We did a sledding trip with Celebrity and were advised to take the one that gave you a longer helicopter flight and also took you to a higher glacier. I know Medenhall was an option but we choose the alternative. Trying to remember the name - will post back when I find out but it may not be pertinent to Princess options

possibly norris glacier. 

I will say that the experience was worth every penny although it was expensive. I would do it again 👍

We did the Juneau one a few years ago while on a Crystal Cruise.  In those days it was "only" $499" per person but was worth every penny.  But there is luck involved as much depends on the weather.  In our case we had a gorgeous day and our pilot gave us a terrific scenic tour of the glacier before we landed near the dog sled camp.  This camp was used to train many Iditerod dogs who were very friendly and just wanted to run run run.  These dogs look too darn skinny, but they are world class athletes (in the dog world) that get treated better then most humans :).  We all got a turn at driving a sled (they had two sleds hooked together and you took turns driving and just sitting in the sled).  The dogs needed little help from we "mushers" as they knew what they were doing.   It is unreal how much they want to run, but once you get back to camp many of those dogs are asleep within a minute.  They know how to conserve their energy and get their rest.

Hank