How to Enjoy St Maarten on a Budget

Teacher_91

Hello,

One of my besties and I are doing a 'girl's cruise' in March on Princess.  One of our stops is St Maarten.  Since our hubbies won't be joining us, we promised to do this trip as cheaply as possible.  Cruise ship excursions tend to be expensive since you have to pay the middle man too.  Any recommendations for beaches we could visit on our own?  We would want a beach chair and maybe a bar area for drinks.  Another option is just to wander around and do a little browsing in shops, etc.  

I'd love suggestions!  

Thank you in advance.  

You can walk to the town beach from the ship; about 20 minutes walk. You can see it from the ship, so no fear of getting lost. There are shops, bars, restaurants facing the beach, and little stalls with beachwear and souvenirs.  When you walk onto the beach you will probably be offered loungers and drinks; you can accept or decline.

We were there 10/31/18. We got on the ferry at pier. $7 pp round trip. Took us over to great bay beach right near the cruise pier. Rented two chairs and umbrella right on the water for $20. Had two rum punches. They were 2 for $5. You can walk over to shopping. Plenty of bars and food places. Whole day cost us $39. Worked for us.

The last time we were in St. Martin we went to Simpson Bay. It was not far and a beautiful beach. This year we are going to Orient Beach on the French side. No matter where you go, it's beautiful. Great Bay in near the town of Philipsburg (did my honeymoon there in 85). You have a ton of shops and a beautiful beach, so that would probably be the "cheapest", but a beautiful choice. Have fun 🙂