Cruise Directors

crisp1

I'll probably get flamed for this - but I found our cruise director pretty annoying. (Greg ??) All I saw or heard of him was endless promotion and long-winded announcements of Carnival upsell opportunities - and he seemed pretty full of himself. I just don't understand why cruise directors are so important to the cruising experience - we had a great time while completely ignoring ours.

Jeri in AK

First time

March 21, 2004 Carnival Pride

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;03;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I lost my virginity a couple of years ago and have, due to no fault of my own, not had it sinceicon_wink.gif.

On the first night of my cruise, the CD hosted a "show" shich was his highlight of the cruise - IMO. The only other times I saw him were while tendering at Grand Cayman and one night in the disco.

Personally I could care less who the CD is - he/she will not make or break my cruise which is why I voted "No, most of us know what we want, and can read the 'Capers'".

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

cs-ts-746.jpg

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2002;2;9;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Talk about SCD!!

NCL Sky 2/02

It really depends on the CD. A really good one can help make the trip memorable (John Heald), a really, really BAD one can be the subject of some very intense venting in your review (Jeff Bronnnnnnsonnnnnnnnnnn). Do they make or break the cruise? Absolutely not.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

TBA

John Heald is by far the BEST I have ever seen, I am sure some others are good too, but when you have had the best it is hard to take 2nd best !

I do feel that the Cruise director has a good part to do with your cruise -- but of course you put the on the final touches.

Just relax and enjoy even if you know more than the director unless of course you have John then hold on to your seats he is the best!

No CD will ever make or break my cruise, as mentioned earlier. But I've had a couple who really ADDED to my enjoyment by their obvious love of their job and their interaction with the pax....Corey Schmidt comes to mind. icon_cool.gif

Militant Breastfeeding & Homebirth Proponent-Sandra Carmichael

Mardi Gras 6/79

Mardi Gras 6/79

(back to back cruises)

Celebration 8/02

Splendour of the Seas 3/03

Jubilee 7/03

Conquest 1/04

Celebration 1/04

Elation 2/04

Elation *coming again* 1/05

To be honest, I didn't even notice our cruise directors on my previous cruises, but I think that's because they probably did a fine job making everything run smoothly, if that's part of their job.

I certainly wouldn't let a cruise director make or break my cruise.

Lisa and Mark icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Cruise Directors are indeed important to the cruise!! But I feel they are most important in ways which we don't realize, such as the work they do "behind the scenes." I believe the cruise directors are also responsible for the social and entertainment staff, and some directors seem to be better at that than others. Having just sailed the Triumph, John was by far the funniest director we've had, but I would have liked to have seen him out and about on the ship in the evenings checking on things and talking to the passengers. In retrospect, Greg was excellent on building rapport with passengers. He stopped by the piano bar every evening on the Glory just to chat, and his entertainment staff seemed to perform to higher expectations knowing that he would come by.....

darla.gif

Sea___related_Party_in_canoe_prv.gif

Proud member O.A.T.C.

Fantasy 4/94

Sensation 3/99

Fascination 12/99

Imagination 6/2001

Glory 8/2003

Victory 11/2003

New Year's Ecstasy 12/29/03

Triumph 3/2004

I would prefer not to have a cruise director. But, then I'm only into drinking, gambling, sun bathing and snorkelling. He didn't help me much with any of those endeavors.

Jubilee..May 2002

Sensation...May 2003

Glory...April 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;17;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived