Drink package

Arizona-Cruising

On 12/5/2018 at 7:40 PM, beerman2 said:

Devil's advocate here

1) You will ask yourself do I really want that $8-$10 drink I ask myself if I really want any drink, as much for calories as for price, or if there are other drinks I'd want more.

2) Not having package you are less apt to try something new I'm a grown up - if I want to try something new I will try it regardless of if I have a package.  This assumes the drink is something that looks good.

3) Port Intensive ( you are still ON the ship 8-9 hours a day) Many people do things at ports that limit their breakfast drinking and/or make them too tired to drink as much once back on ship.

4) Nothing like starting the day with Mimosas, Bloody Mary's or Bailey's and coffee Unless you don't feel like drinking all your calories or have activities planned for the day that make drinking that early unwise.

5) Drinks add up Quickly Yes they do - some of us don't want to drink an additional 1000-2000 calories each day.

6) Specialty Coffee, Energy Drinks, water , teas, milkshakes ARE included  but not part of the 15 limit. Again, that much sugar would do me in even more than the alcohol.  I'm fine with refilling my water tumbler with ship's potable water.

7) Have to ask yourself can we do 6-7 drinks a day plus Non-Alcoholic 

8 ) It can be overwhelming, but only you know your drinking habits

On 12/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, Crazy4Camping said:

Exactly all the stuff I thought of!  I like to drink but can't drink too much or the next day will be Hell LOL.  Yes on the ship that many hours but I would never drink in the am and after the island and dinner I truly don't know how many I can drink before getting to bed early enough to do it all again!  Like you said, only I know my drinking habits and I don't drink during the week(who has time?)and I'm going to try not to undo 10 years of weight loss in one week so I decided that I probably won't get any milkshakes or specialty coffees.  It's a hard call and I may still change my mind again before we go, but it really lies on me since hubby isn't much of a drinker.  Ugh!!! Decisions, decisions!!

It is a very personal decision and either way isn't right or wrong, rather what is right for you. My husband and I consider ourselves moderate drinkers and like many drink more on a cruise than we do at home.  We are also active on a cruise and just can't see drinking enough to justify the package (for us).  Another way to consider the cost: over the course of the cruise (assuming 7 day) will the two of you enjoy more than $800 worth of drinks (2 pax X $60/day X7 days, rounded down)?  If you think you would, Cheers is for you.  If you doubt you would even be close - based on your drinking habits - then just pay as you go.

If you are concerned about holding back or stressing about a bill at the end, apply the amount you are willing to spend as cash to your account - no bill at the end 😉 

4 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

It is a very personal decision and either way isn't right or wrong, rather what is right for you. My husband and I consider ourselves moderate drinkers and like many drink more on a cruise than we do at home.  We are also active on a cruise and just can't see drinking enough to justify the package (for us).  Another way to consider the cost: over the course of the cruise (assuming 7 day) will the two of you enjoy more than $800 worth of drinks (2 pax X $60/day X7 days, rounded down)?  If you think you would, Cheers is for you.  If you doubt you would even be close - based on your drinking habits - then just pay as you go.

If you are concerned about holding back or stressing about a bill at the end, apply the amount you are willing to spend as cash to your account - no bill at the end 😉 

I agree and everything you said is on point.  The difference with the cruise versus home isn't just the alcohol though it's the couple of cokes with dinner for hubby, the water bottles to take on shore(I have already ordered a case for the room), basically any beverage beyond lemonade or tea right?  It's just so hard cause it's our first so we just don't know what we will do.  We've only been on one week-long vacation in our whole marriage and that was 15 years ago with the kids so we just don't have much to compare to.  I can say though, we went out to a bar last week and after 5 White Claws I was definitely done in.  Do they give out glasses of ice water at the bars or do I have to buy water bottles??

You can request a glass of ice water at bars.  We take insulated tumblers with us that hold around 20 oz and have straws.  Usually husband's has water only and mine will either be water or possibly add a powdered drink packet or Mio style drops if we want some flavoring.  We can refill our mugs at the lido stations (fill their glass and pour over) or have the bartender top it off.  If we are spending a couple hours at one bar/pub I will usually tip before we leave.  We also purchase drinks while there too, but I would have no issues asking for a top off if just passing by too.

The 12 bottle case for ~$5 is a deal.  We've gotten for the cabin (nice to have a bottle by the bed during the night and not risk knocking over our tumbler) and have for shore ex and disembarking.  We also recently purchased a 2.5-3L hydration pack and take it on excursions - great for long beach days and no issues taking off or bringing back on board.

Complimentary beverages include tap water, iced tea, lemonade, certain juices during breakfast hours, coffee (basic, charge for premium), hot water, tea bags (Lipton, charge for specialty), and hot chocolate.  There is also soft serve 24/7 on lido that some make frozen lemonade with.  All other drinks have a cost.

You can bring up to 12, 12oz cans/cartons per person of soft drink so you can bring your husband's soda if you don't want to pay the ship price.  Purchasing a la carte you will get the entire can and a glass of ice, with a package you will get a likely partial can poured over ice so it might be flat.

If you are wine drinkers, you may also bring one 750mL bottle per (21+) passenger.  This is intended for in-cabin consumption and if you bring the entire bottle to the MDR or a bar they might charge a $15 corkage fee.  Many people pour a glass in their stateroom and carry it to dinner.  You can get glasses from any bar, take them back from MDR, or use the water goblets in your cabin 😉 

How are the White Claws?  Are they a little salty with just a hint of flavor like other seltzer waters, or is there a little sweetness?

Cruise drinking is different than home drinking.  With no kids we will drink a little more than at home, plus with the captain "driving" neither one of us has to be the designated driver and we can both relax and drink.  It can be easy to have 6-10 drinks in a day, but usually not every day.

We also go for buckets, fishbowls, pitchers or daily specials to stretch our drinking dollars and maybe try some of the samplers/flights if we want to experiment.  Just another option if you decide against Cheers.

Have a great cruise 🙂 

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

The beer I drink is $6.50 so in that case the break even would be 8.

If I drink only beer at $6.50 a can (usually Bud Light Lime), I consider 7 beers the break even point because I also drink lots of water and sports drinks every day. 

Like I have seen in your reviews, I am also a big fan of the Alchemy Bar, which always results in Cheers being a good deal. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, pacruise804 said:

You can request a glass of ice water at bars.  We take insulated tumblers with us that hold around 20 oz and have straws.  Usually husband's has water only and mine will either be water or possibly add a powdered drink packet or Mio style drops if we want some flavoring.  We can refill our mugs at the lido stations (fill their glass and pour over) or have the bartender top it off.  If we are spending a couple hours at one bar/pub I will usually tip before we leave.  We also purchase drinks while there too, but I would have no issues asking for a top off if just passing by too.

The 12 bottle case for ~$5 is a deal.  We've gotten for the cabin (nice to have a bottle by the bed during the night and not risk knocking over our tumbler) and have for shore ex and disembarking.  We also recently purchased a 2.5-3L hydration pack and take it on excursions - great for long beach days and no issues taking off or bringing back on board.

Complimentary beverages include tap water, iced tea, lemonade, certain juices during breakfast hours, coffee (basic, charge for premium), hot water, tea bags (Lipton, charge for specialty), and hot chocolate.  There is also soft serve 24/7 on lido that some make frozen lemonade with.  All other drinks have a cost.

You can bring up to 12, 12oz cans/cartons per person of soft drink so you can bring your husband's soda if you don't want to pay the ship price.  Purchasing a la carte you will get the entire can and a glass of ice, with a package you will get a likely partial can poured over ice so it might be flat.

If you are wine drinkers, you may also bring one 750mL bottle per (21+) passenger.  This is intended for in-cabin consumption and if you bring the entire bottle to the MDR or a bar they might charge a $15 corkage fee.  Many people pour a glass in their stateroom and carry it to dinner.  You can get glasses from any bar, take them back from MDR, or use the water goblets in your cabin 😉 

How are the White Claws?  Are they a little salty with just a hint of flavor like other seltzer waters, or is there a little sweetness?

Cruise drinking is different than home drinking.  With no kids we will drink a little more than at home, plus with the captain "driving" neither one of us has to be the designated driver and we can both relax and drink.  It can be easy to have 6-10 drinks in a day, but usually not every day.

We also go for buckets, fishbowls, pitchers or daily specials to stretch our drinking dollars and maybe try some of the samplers/flights if we want to experiment.  Just another option if you decide against Cheers.

Have a great cruise 🙂 

Thank you for all the info.  I keep forgetting about the wine/pop bring aboard option!  The white claws are good-basically carbonated water with alcohol and flavor.  I don't feel like they are sweet at all.  I like Truly better but many bars don't have them.  They both give a great buzz without alot of calories/carbs and keep me hydrated as well!

• Thanks 1