Part LXVIII - Installment Travelogue:Cruising With the Mothers, Maasdam - Cadillac Mt

chesterh

This is part 18 of the story, 68 in the series.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have not posted the body of this chapter in this thread. Instead, you will find a great big link below the chapter title – please click it and you will be taken to the chapter content on my website. I’m doing this for several reasons:

• It saves me about 30 minutes of posting prep time
  • It allows me greater control over picture placement and text formatting
  • When I find embarrassing mistakes the following day, I can still edit the chapter
  • I don’t have to worry about the 10,000 character per post limit
  • I am lazy, and always seek the easiest way to do things

I hope that no one is too inconvenienced by the extra click. I may do this again in subsequent chapters, if conditions warrant.

The weather drove me to try this approach. At 1:15 a.m., I had just finished preparing the post when the power went out. The wind is howling, blowing today’s 60 degree air back where it’s supposed to be. It had to happen—the temperature in New Hampshire has been in the balmy 50s all week. The grass is greening up nicely, and the willow trees are showing signs of leafing out—boy, are they in for a surprise…

The rest of the story:

Part 1 - A Crazy Idea

Part 2 - One Down

Part 3 - Come On, Ma

Part 4 - Two to Go

Part 5 - Formalities

Part 6 - A Grand Plan

Part 7 - I Meet HAL

Part 8 - Making Do

Part 9 - To the Ship

Part 10 - Picture This

Part 11 - Entry Denied

Part 12 - Going "UP"

Part 13 - Roll Call

Part 14 - Nightmare

Part 15 - Bar Harbor

Part 16 - Acadia National Park

Part 17 - Jordan Pond

At the appointed time, we returned to the bus and climbed aboard. The guide did a headcount, and then did it again.

“We seem to be missing one person,” she said. “Let me count one more time.”

I looked around, and verified that the mothers were safely tucked in their seats.

“Yes, we’re missing one person,” said the guide. “Anyone missing someone from their party?” There was no response. “OK, everyone please wait here.” The guide stepped off the bus and the doors snapped shut to prevent our escape.

“Hmmm,” I thought.

Betsy?

Part 18 (68) – Cadillac Mountain

Um... Chestah, do you mean August 1895 when the hotel at the top of Cadillac Mountain was closed? You wrote 1995, but no matter how hard I wrack my brain, I can't remember a brothel at the top of Cadillac, and surely that would be memorable...

Lisa (former resident of Machiasport and Bangor)

Good morning Chesterh...I, too, enjoy your story telling. I noticed that you mentioned in one of your chapters that of one of the moms could not locate licorice pipes. Well, I am here to tell you that they are alive and well in

La Crosse, WI at The Pearl Soda Fountain and Espresso Bar. Red and black are available and the telephone number is 608-782-6655. Enjoy!!

Dave and I are really enjoying your story. We did the New England cruise circuit on the Constellation last Sept-Oct and we can truly identify with the weather in Bar Harbor as you describe it. Thanks for reminding us about a great cruise.

Dave and Elaine

Lisa, thanks for the observation. I may want to hire you as a proofreader. Of course, this validates point 3 in my list of reasons for posting the text to my own site: “When I (or Lisa) find embarrassing mistakes the following day, I can still edit the chapter.” I just realized an additional perk—now I can say something like, “What are you talking about, Lisa? You must be hallucinating. It clearly says ‘1895’—go back and look again.”

Garry, there’s always hope… However, I have a special duty today - consoling Kris, whose beloved football team stole all meaning from her life last night.

misha1, Kris also found a source (The Vermont Country Store catalog), and bought a year’s supply for her mother. The licorice pipe theme has yet to play out in the story…

Dave and Elaine, great to see you. Some months ago, the Davis’s sent me a photo from their New England cruise, and I must say that it is one of the most stunning pictures I’ve ever seen. It contains 3 things—a Celebrity cruise ship, fog and a lighthouse. I’m not sure if Dave and Elaine have shared the picture here, or indeed, if they want to—I did suggest that they sell it to Celebrity—but I now use it as my “desktop wallpaper.”

All the best,

chesterh

Chester, I just bought your new book from your website, I hope it is signed personally by you and not just a stamp of your signature. I can't wait to get it, it's a surprise for the hubster, he'll be thrilled to death!!

Cloud - In anticipation of demand, I originally outsourced the signing task to China. People complained, though, when the inscriptions looked like this (I hope it displays correctly for everyone):

希望您享用书。 一路平安, 理查

As it turns out, demand for the product did not warrant the continuation of this business arrangement. You can be assured that I will personally remove the dust and pet hair from a copy, sign it with a pen pilfered from the office, pack it lovingly into a cheap box, print and apply a shipping label, and drive it to the post office.

Now, how will you keep the hubster from seeing this and spoiling the surprise?

Thanks, and all the best,

chesterh

Thanks Chester for all of the personal attention to getting the book out to me and the hubster safely, you da man!!

I'm keeping the hubster berry, berry busy, so he will never know. That's what wives do best!!! This is our little secret, shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Intrigue, Barb? From moi? Nah - just life as it happens...

Cloud, it's all up to the postman now...

To the dangerous duo, I'm doing my best - I really am...

Thanks, Lisa. There are still mistakes in the first story (the book), after ten re-writes and countless proofing sessions. I fired all the other proofreaders, so I'll (have to) take you up on the offer.

chesterh

Howdy Davis0056!

Great picture!

arg-bouncing-sign-thank-you.gif

Kat 50.gif

Music_and_Notes_Notes_move_prv.gif

Texas Our Texas!

(State Song - 1st Verse & Chorus)

Texas, our Texas! All hail the Mighty State!

Texas, our Texas! So wonderful, so great!

Boldest and Grandest, withstanding every test --

Oh, Empire wide and glorious, you stand forever blest!

God bless you, Texas, and keep you wise and strong,

That you may grow in power and worth

Throughout the ages long!

Archived