2021, Endurance, "trans" Antarctic

• 4 weeks later...

Frickwg - As soon as I read your post and saw 'Bluff to Ushuaia' I thought this might be the cruise I have been waiting for.   But it wasn't.   I think it goes the wrong way round.  Yes, that entire stretch of Antarctica is hardly ever visited by expedition cruise ships but there might be a reason for that.  I remember chatting with the captain of the Orion and he dreaded that Ross Sea crossing - so many trips failed to land passengers anywhere.  However, if you sailed across the 'top' of the continent rather than round the 'bottom' - ie, across the Southern Indian Ocean - you would have got to places like Kerguelen, Bouvet Island and the South Sandwich Islands. Those are real bucket list places for me.  Perhaps one day someone will think of doing this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Fletcher - Not sure if you really looked into the facts about crossing to Antarctica south of The Pacific.

It is considerably shorter from Bluff to Ushuaia going east than to go west.  It is around 135 deg. of longitude as apposed to 225 the other way into the prevailing winds.

I understand what you say about the Ross Sea - but that goes for any place around Antarctica.

National Geographic Endurance has arrived in Norway for fitting out.

The Polar Code - comes into full force on 1st Jan. 2022 & will soon put the vast majority of current vessels out of business over the next 2 years.

National Geographic Endurance.jpg

NG Endurance 4-19.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2021 at 6:08 AM, PAllinson said:

Sorry to burst your plans but I read  the 2021 antartica season was cancelled for everyone.  

Everyone as in Lindblad? Or everyone as in all cruises across all cruiselines?

Where did you read this???

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 7:08 AM, PAllinson said:

Sorry to burst your plans but I read  the 2021 antartica season was cancelled for everyone.  

This refers to last season (ie Oct 2020 - March 2021) not the upcoming season (ie Oct 2021 - March 2022).  Last year decisions to cancel weren't announced until June or later.

• 7 months later...