Help us plan our day to enjoy beaches, tequila, chociolate and more

FrankNBrew

My wife and I will arrive in Cozumel for our first time ever at 7:00 AM on February 12th. Ours is the first ship to arrive, with 4 more arriving in the next few hours with a port load over 14,000 that day. My wife and I are interested in a nice beach with beautiful sand and waves, with an area we can get out of the sun for a bit with delicious food,  beer and cocktails. All inclusive is not necessary, but not out of the question. We are also interested in tequila tasting and a chocolate factory tour. Our ship departs at 4:00. Our lack of experience means we have no idea what time we  would eventually get off the ship, or when we need to be back.

Do all of these sound doable for one stop?  How much will the heavy port load affect our trip? Does anybody with lots of experience with Cozumel have a plan of attack for us?  Or should we stick to the beach with cocktails only? Maybe somebody can recommend a beach that will be less crowded on a heavy cruise ship day? Or should we stick to tequila tasting and chocolate tour only...maybe hit a restaurant on the way back to the ship for cocktails and delicious food, and hit a beach on another stop (Georgetown or Falmouth)? All tips appreciated!!

5 ships is about average for Cozumel -  do not sweat that number of cruisers.

After spending several hours at an all-inclusive beach club you are likely to not have time (or desire) to touring the chocolate factory -- I would check to see what time they open for tours.  Same for the tequila tasting. You could save one or both for your next cruise and head to Nachi Cocom for the day - AI for about $55 each, never crowded (limited to 130 guests per day, and great food/drinks/service. 

You could tour the chocolate factory, do tequila tasting, then spend a few hours at a pay as you go beach club (Paradise Beach is big, with great facilities and a HUGE pool; Money Bar is smaller, usually not crowded, and offers good snorkeling from the shore, but no traditional sandy beach) for the afternoon.

Whatever beach you choose I would depart for the ship NLT 3:00 - and keep track of time with a watch, not your cell, so that you stay on ship time which often differs from local time.

I believe the answer is yes for Paradise Beach and Money Bar - not sure about Nachi Cocom; my memory may have been fogged by a few too many margaritas. :classic_cool:  Nachi does offer a freshwater pool (with swim-up bar!) and a hot tub.  We've always finished the day by the pool before catching a cab back to the pier.

Thanks for the info!

After a ton more research we've decided on the private Jeep tour, where we have 5-5.5 hours with a guide. We meet at 9:00 AM,  and he takes us wherever we choose (or we can take turns driving while he guides). Apparently food, drinks and entrance fees to many places are included in the fee. Great reviews on Trip Advisor. It sounded like our best option, and we have a friend joining us who doesn't want to scuba with her family. Hopefully we can hit all of the things we want to do, and have time for more options. I'm guessing we will need to save the beach fun for one of the other ports, or another trip. 

5 hours ago, FrankNBrew said:

Thanks for the info!

After a ton more research we've decided on the private Jeep tour, where we have 5-5.5 hours with a guide. We meet at 9:00 AM,  and he takes us wherever we choose (or we can take turns driving while he guides). Apparently food, drinks and entrance fees to many places are included in the fee. Great reviews on Trip Advisor. It sounded like our best option, and we have a friend joining us who doesn't want to scuba with her family. Hopefully we can hit all of the things we want to do, and have time for more options. I'm guessing we will need to save the beach fun for one of the other ports, or another trip. 

Enjoy your day. The east side is great away from the crowds.

Not sure which company you are using but there have been mixed reviews on here of some jeep tours. Please research carefully, don't drink if you plan to drive  and be sure the jeep is insured for you to drive.

As John says please report back.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Enjoy your day. The east side is great away from the crowds.

Not sure which company you are using but there have been mixed reviews on here of some jeep tours. Please research carefully, don't drink if you plan to drive  and be sure the jeep is insured for you to drive.

As John says please report back.

It’s a private tour. Just 3 of us with a guide. Apparently there is beer on board??? I guess we will decide who drives before any alcohol, and the guide (who hopefully isn’t drinking 😃) will drive afterward. The trip advisor reviews were excellent. And, yes, I always check out the reviewers for validity. 

I appreciate the warning!!