Cruising with Oxygen

darstamp

There's a possibility that I will have to travel with oxygen on my next cruise.  I'd be interested in hearing from others as I know there are a lot of hoops you have to go through.  Did you have it on the plane or was it delivered to the ship?  Do you have your own POC or did you rent it?  Was RC accommodating?  Or is it too much trouble and I should just cancel?  thanks.

Obtaining oxygen for air travel — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) does not allow travelers to carry their own oxygen tanks or liquid oxygenaboard commercial aircraft. Instead, most patients can use a Department of Transportation approved battery-powered portable oxygen concentrator.Jun 13, 2018

My FIL cruised this past January with oxygen - flying from Columbus to Tampa via Charlotte.  There were a few steps to set everything up but it is quite doable to cruise while on oxygen.  Airlines and RC were very helpful.

He rented a portable concentrator in Ohio and made sure to also rent extra batteries.  There is no way to guarantee that plugs are available in terminals and/or planes to recharge - or that you have time to sit and recharge during the travel day.  Get extra batteries!

A concentrator was delivered to his cabin on the ship as well as a back up concentrator just in case.  While he was in the room, he used a big machine and then while out and about, he used the portable concentrator.

You didn't ask, but in case anyone is curious, he also had a scooter delivered to the cabin.  He can walk short distances, but asked for wheelchair assistance at the airports and the terminal to get on/off the ship.  The dining room staff fought over who got to "park" his scooter during dinner.

For reference, he and my MIL were in an inside cabin deck 2 on Rhapsody.  Everything fit it the room when the beds were split.

• Like 1