Gluten Free in Specialty Restaurants

bakcd

I have had enjoyed several meals in the specialty restaurants and plan to do so on our upcoming sailings on the Koningsdam and Maasdam.  We have dined in the Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto recently as we were on the smaller ships.  I wonder if recent cruisers have had good gluten free experiences in any of the specialty restaurants and what menu items were available.  Please share your experiences.  I have found the tomato broth with spicy lemongrass chicken and the cedar planked halibut to be very good.  I also the beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese with a substitute for the scalloped potatoes.  In the Cannaletto I had the Rigatoni with Italian Sausage.  Although not memorable, it was good.

DW has been eating GF for the last several cruises. HAL is pretty good in general. We had a wonderful evening in Tamarind this last time out. We noted that we would want a GF meal when we made the reservation and they went over the options when the menu was presented.

If you are on a gluten-free diet or have other food allergy issues, HAL will make every effort to accommodate your needs if you will contact HAL Access & Compliance at (800) 547-8493 before your cruise and also discuss the matter with the Food Service Manager once you are onboard.  My spouse has severe food allergies, and HAL has always been willing & able to accommodate her needs, whether we ate in the MDR or at any of the specialty restaurants.

Edited by avian777
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, avian777 said:

If you are on a gluten-free diet or have other food allergy issues, HAL will make every effort to accommodate your needs if you will contact HAL Access & Compliance at (800) 547-8493 before your cruise and also discuss the matter with the Food Service Manager once you are onboard.  My spouse has severe food allergies, and HAL has always been willing & able to accommodate her needs, whether we ate in the MDR or at any of the specialty restaurants.

Leaving Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 4 on the Koningsdam. My brother has Celiacs, and we did advise HAL. They also suggested he speak with the Food Service Manager. Thank you.

I neglected to say that I have enjoyed many gluten free meals on HAL over the past 18 years in the main dining room, Lido with caution and in the specialty restaurants.  What I had hoped to learn is what dishes others have enjoyed in the restaurants. Has anyone tried the new venues on the Koningsdam?  What were their experiences.  

On on our recent Voyage of the Vikings, I enjoyed the best gluten free offerings yet.   The adaptations at dinner were far above any I have had on previous sailings.   Gluten free (removed) beer is available on all ships now.   My only complaint was the lack of variety of non starchy vegetables in the Lido and (I did not make special requests) and many of desserts are dairy based.    

If you are wondering if HAL handles special diets, my experiences have been positive but I will always question if I am served something I am unsure of.  I do appreciate the strides they have made to accommodate our needs allowing us to travel and remain healthy.

• Like 1