Sydney Airport Times

Empehi

We plan to arrive in Sydney a number of days before our cruise but we plan to fly out the day the cruise returns.

How early should we book a flight to the USA the day the cruise returns?

Fastest way to get to the airport?

Thanks.

E

2 hours ago, Empehi said:

We plan to arrive in Sydney a number of days before our cruise but we plan to fly out the day the cruise returns.

Thanks.

E

Assuming that your ship docks on schedule and assuming that it is docking at Circular Quay, then the fastest way to the airport is by train direct from there to the airport. It is also the least convenient if you are carrying luggage. Circular Quay train station is a couple of hundred yards from the cruise terminal.

Time from CQ to airport by train is about 20 minutes. All going well, it is usually not difficult to get to the airport by 10am. Generally you should be there 3 hours prior for international flights, so your minimum time for departure would be around 1pm. Travel time by taxi will vary according to traffic, but will be considerably longer.

However you would be crazy to assume that everything will go well and that you can get your luggage onto the train without breaking your back. I would book a flight for the afternoon around 3pm to 4pm. You may have to sit around the airport waiting for a few hours, but that's better than the angst caused when something goes wrong.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

On 12/25/2018 at 6:07 AM, Empehi said:

Thanks.

E

I would be inclined to have the night in Sydney again but that’s me.

I won’t even fly domestic here on the same day of sailing

Cheers Carole

We arrived back last Friday, our flight to Melb from Sydney was delayed due to the chaos in Sydney because of the storms the previous day.  We arrived at the domestic airport at 11 am after a 7 am arrival into white bay,  and didnt get through bag drop even with online check in and baggage tag through their machnes, until after 2 pm.  It was horrendous.  We were flying virgin so should have been able to get rid of the luggage on arrival at  the airport.  The queue was enormous, and virgin staff miraculously disappeared.   

I would stay another night as suggested as there is no guarantee the ship will be on time nor no delays at the airport.

Edited by Tara Jane
spelling correction