Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

On arrival at Langham Reef we were served a tasty lunch of chicken, sliced meats and a variety of fresh salads on board.

Then for those who wanted to swim/snorkel it was time to squeeze into the dreaded stinger suits (wetsuits) collect your snorkeling gear and jump into the rubber ducky to be taken across to a sandbank to be in the water for an hour.  I was disappointed that we couldn't jump into the deep water from the boat like I had done in Vila & Fiji ship tours.

20181218_132139.jpg

I hated swimming/snorkeling in a stinger suit and not having your face, feet, and hands covered seemed to defeat the purpose.

So I ended up just grabbing a noodle and spending the time just floating around and taking in the scenery which was really nice.  We had too short a time in the water anyway.

Best part of the whole day for me was the return sail.  The wind had dropped, it was a glorious afternoon, we had icy cold alcoholic drinks (available for purchase) and could just sit back and relax and drink in the views as we were under sail  for 2 hours.  For those who were interested one of the crew provided a detailed commentary on the surrounding islands and the sea life to be found in the waters.  Just before we reached the marina I spotted two dolphins in the water beside us.

20181218_115332.jpg

For the majority of us who remained on the ship, once you disembarked at Brisbane dock, there was a walk to a shuttle which took you on a approx. 40 min trip into Brisbane CBD.

Cost was $25 USD.  CD apologised for the cost when he announced it the night before.  You were able to buy tickets in the terminal after you disembarked the ship and before boarding coach.

20181220_104757.jpg

I hopped a free city ferry service and then came back to Southbank for lunch.  Then walked back to Queen St Mall for a spot of shopping and when I got back to the shuttle pick up point at 3pm I got one of the last seats on the waiting shuttle (they run every 30 mins I believe) and headed back to the ship.

Last night on board, I got my luggage tags delivered to my room.  Annoyed to see i got the latest possible time for self disembark.  My own fault for forgetting to fill out request form a couple nights earlier.

Easy to fix as there was a variety of extra luggage tags for independent travellers next to the guest services desk so just swapped them for an earlier time.  Filled out my details on tag.  Left luggage outside room.

Next morning had quick brekky, said goodbyes, disembarked ship, collected my tagged luggage, had ticked wooden items on my customs card.  In seperate queue.  Moved quickly.  Customs were a bit iffy about one wooden item with a potential tiny borer hole.  She tapped item - no sawdust or insects came out - after much umming and ahhing on her part she finally let me keep it.

Walked to ferry wharf.  Missed it.  Walked further.  Realised my mistake.  Walked back.  Ferry arrived within 5 mins to Barangaroo.  Easy walk to Wynyard.  Had to catch train to Central.  Hate Central Station - no lifts for luggage.  Quick trip home just in time for Christmas Day.

Suspect borer hole top middle.

20181222_141313.jpg