Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

23 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Last night on board, I got my luggage tags delivered to my room.  Annoyed to see i got the latest possible time for self disembark.  My own fault for forgetting to fill out request form a couple nights earlier.

Easy to fix as there was a variety of extra luggage tags for independent travellers next to the guest services desk so just swapped them for an earlier time.  Filled out my details on tag.  Left luggage outside room.

I didn't use any luggage tages. I just left independantly taking my (small) suitcase with me. Like you I had a late allocation. Not sure what time I walked off but I shared a taxi with a couple  to Central, $25, and was on the train leaving for Cardiff (no longer goes to Newcastle) at 8.18.

My house sitter was at the station to drop my car off and he then took a train to Sydney, with bicycle, to do his next sit.

I was able to get home to Belmont South, have lunch, read the paper, then head over to Marmong Point for my regular Saturday afternoon of sailboard racing and Christmas BBQ. It was also my birthday (70).

25 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

So there ends my wonderful cruise with HAL to PNG and FNQ.  Hope you enjoyed my photos and the info proved useful for any future cruisers to these ports and on Noordam.

Safe Cruising everyone in 2019.

A most excellent and interesting review Lozzie, thanks for sharing and taking the time and making the effort.

This was my third HAL cruise it pretty much reinforced my high opinion of HAL although it still sits a close second behind Celebrity. HAL definitely has better itineraries IMHO.

I'm sorry i didn't get to meet you and the other CCers at the meet and greet. I stuffed upon  that one and totally missed it.

Hi lizzie 

That sure was a great review with magnificent pics. Felt like we were on the cruise with you. We have always had our reservations about the png cruise but hey you might of just changed our minds. 

Looking for somewhere to cruise mid 2020, are you aware if the noordam does this itinerary in our winter????.

Cheers Bob & Chris. Gold Coast, Aust.

Just now, portcbob said:

Hi lozzie 

That sure was a great review with magnificent pics. Felt like we were on the cruise with you. We have always had our reservations about the png cruise but hey you might of just changed our minds. 

Looking for somewhere to cruise mid 2020, are you aware if the noordam does this itinerary in our winter????.

Cheers Bob & Chris. Gold Coast, Aust.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

A most excellent and interesting review Lozzie, thanks for sharing and taking the time and making the effort.

This was my third HAL cruise it pretty much reinforced my high opinion of HAL although it still sits a close second behind Celebrity. HAL definitely has better itineraries IMHO.

I'm sorry i didn't get to meet you and the other CCers at the meet and greet. I stuffed upon  that one and totally missed it.

Hi Lyndarra, i am glad you enjoyed this cruise as much as I did.  We might bump into each other at a meet & greet one day.  Having enjoyed HAL, I would love to try Celebrity.  Will have to wait for one of their last minute reduced prices cruises though.

2 hours ago, portcbob said:

Thanks Bob & Chris.  If you want to cruise PNG in winter, I think you may have to go with P & O. HAL being an American Cruise Line are like Royal and only have their ships here in our summer months, I believe but I am new to HAL so not an expert.

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Unfortunately, on the morning of our arrival in Conflict Islands I woke with a sore throat and ended up with the standard cruise cold.  So the books certainly came in handy while I rested and recovered.  There is also a decent sized library on board for those who are interested.

Sorry you've become ill aussielozzie18, but it does give you a chance to make a start on your books. I noticed you have Jane Harper book, I have just discovered her writing and am reading The Dry at the moment. 

I am really enjoying the review of your cruise and look forward to continue reading it.

Leigh

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sorry you've become ill aussielozzie18, but it does give you a chance to make a start on your books. I noticed you have Jane Harper book, I have just discovered her writing and am reading The Dry at the moment. 

I am really enjoying the review of your cruise and look forward to continue reading it.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh.  I managed to get over my cold pretty quickly thanks.

If you enjoy The Dry, I can highly recommend her second book released last year -  Force of Nature.  The Lost Man is her 3rd book and is a new release and another excellent read.  She is a talented Australian writer who really captures the tough Australian landscape that each book is set in and writes a good mystery at the same time.

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Thanks Leigh.  I managed to get over my cold pretty quickly thanks.

If you enjoy The Dry, I can highly recommend her second book released last year -  Force of Nature.  The Lost Man is her 3rd book and is a new release and another excellent read.  She is a talented Australian writer who really captures the tough Australian landscape that each book is set in and writes a good mystery at the same time.

Thanks, I am really enjoying The Dry so I'm sure I'll read her other books too.

Leigh

Thank you again Aussielozzie for an absolutely wonderful review of your cruise to PNG and HAL.  You certainly had stunning weather and your photos were just beautiful.  Will definitely be considering HAL and also PNG for an upcoming cruise.  Vicki. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

Thank you again Aussielozzie for an absolutely wonderful review of your cruise to PNG and HAL.  You certainly had stunning weather and your photos were just beautiful.  Will definitely be considering HAL and also PNG for an upcoming cruise.  Vicki. 🙂 

Thank you Vicki.

18 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

So there ends my wonderful cruise with HAL to PNG and FNQ.  Hope you enjoyed my photos and the info proved useful for any future cruisers to these ports and on Noordam.

Safe Cruising everyone in 2019.

Loved every post ,thank you for the lovely pics

Cheers Carole

I have just remembered a situation where HAL really outpointed Celebrity on this cruise, the drink waiters. There always seemed to be one or two around when needed. Or recent Solstice cruises I had to go looking for one or, if I got tired of waiting, ended up going to a bar myself. I found a similar experience to X on RCI. Staff cut backs perhaps?

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I have just remembered a situation where HAL really outpointed Celebrity on this cruise, the drink waiters. There always seemed to be one or two around when needed. Or recent Solstice cruises I had to go looking for one or, if I got tired of waiting, ended up going to a bar myself. I found a similar experience to X on RCI. Staff cut backs perhaps?

My friend and her partner who cruise frequently did their first cruise with Celebrity Solstice recently and complained as well about the lack of service from bar staff.  It was an ongoing issue during their 9 night cruise.

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

It's funny... I cruised on Oosterdam in late 2014.  The entire Cruise Director's staff consisted of the CD, the DJ, and the girl who ran the cooking demonstrations.  With no CD staff, there were almost no activities each day.

And here was me thinking that HAL were the tight arse cruise line who couldn't be bothered employing enough staff to keep the passengers entertained, only to be told that Celebrity are even worse!

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

It's funny... I cruised on Oosterdam in late 2014.  The entire Cruise Director's staff consisted of the CD, the DJ, and the girl who ran the cooking demonstrations.  With no CD staff, there were almost no activities each day.

And here was me thinking that HAL were the tight arse cruise line who couldn't be bothered employing enough staff to keep the passengers entertained, only to be told that Celebrity are even worse!

I note that a couple of the previous posts referred specifically to the number or availability of drink waiters.

I have heard previous comments that HAL had only a very small CD staff. Our HAL cruises were several years ago and I can't recall how many staff there were. On our Celebrity cruise, I think there were a reasonable number on the CD staff. We usually cruise on Princess where there are probably around seven. This is on the (smaller) Australian-based ships.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:28 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I note that a couple of the previous posts referred specifically to the number or availability of drink waiters.

I have heard previous comments that HAL had only a very small CD staff. Our HAL cruises were several years ago and I can't recall how many staff there were. On our Celebrity cruise, I think there were a reasonable number on the CD staff. We usually cruise on Princess where there are probably around seven. This is on the (smaller) Australian-based ships.

The Oosterdam, like the Noordam, is a Vista Class ship.  It's Panamax size - so roughly the same number of passengers as the Pacific Dawn/Jewel, Carnival Spirit, and Princess' Sun Class ships.  They had 3 CD staff, including the CD, for roughly 2000 passengers.

Another thing I forgot to mention. A few times when I went out on our balcony I got strong whiffs of cigarette smoke. YUK. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. It, smoking on balconies, used to be allowed on HAL ships. Is it still allowed? I'm pretty sure it has been banned on all other cruise lines.

It is quite pleasant relaxing on a balcony lounger in the tropics but spoiled when there's smoke drifting in.

35 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Another thing I forgot to mention. A few times when I went out on our balcony I got strong whiffs of cigarette smoke. YUK. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. It, smoking on balconies, used to be allowed on HAL ships. Is it still allowed? I'm pretty sure it has been banned on all other cruise lines.

It is quite pleasant relaxing on a balcony lounger in the tropics but spoiled when there's smoke drifting in.

As per HAL's website, smoking is not allowed on the balconies.

Where was your balcony located? Could it have come from the smoking area on the starboard at the rear of the lido deck?